Can using Forscan void warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you turn on the power folding mirrors to close when you lock your Ford and that option did not come on your model and the mirror motor dies can Ford deny your warranty?

So I had the option turned on through Forscan after I bought my 2022 Ford Lariat Super Duty. I figured it would be nice to turn on and off a few things to make the truck "mine".

So I notice that my driver side power folding mirror is getting weaker and weaker. Now the mirror doesn't even fold in or out anymore. My local Ford dealer is saying that since I used Forscan that I have basically voided my warranty on that part and I'll need to take this up with Ford customer service. I asked the person who I was talking to in the service department if the Platinums fold in and out when the doors are locked and he said yes but since that my Lariat didn't come with them from the factory that I have somehow voided the warranty on that item.

I don't buy that, that would mean the motors in the power folding mirror would be different from a Platinum model vs a lower trim.

So what do you say? Maybe @FordTechOne can chime in here.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you turn on the power folding mirrors to close when you lock your Ford and that option did not come on your model and the mirror motor dies can Ford deny your warranty?

So I had the option turned on through Forscan after I bought my 2022 Ford Lariat Super Duty. I figured it would be nice to turn on and off a few things to make the truck "mine".

So I notice that my driver side power folding mirror is getting weaker and weaker. Now the mirror doesn't even fold in or out anymore. My local Ford dealer is saying that since I used Forscan that I have basically voided my warranty on that part and I'll need to take this up with Ford customer service. I asked the person who I was talking to in the service department if the Platinums fold in and out when the doors are locked and he said yes but since that my Lariat didn't come with them from the factory that I have somehow voided the warranty on that item.

I don't buy that, that would mean the motors in the power folding mirror would be different from a Platinum model vs a lower trim.

So what do you say? Maybe @FordTechOne can chime in here.
Anything that overrides factory programming voids factory warranty. Ford probably knew the motor couldn't take that type of work and didn't apply that. I totally agree with the dealer and will probably get bombarded by everyone else here on FRF.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds really sh itty! Hopefully that is something this particular dealer is trying to be a dic k about. An awful lot of guys, including me, have done that mod.
I agree with the dealer. Anything that overrides factory programming voids factory warranty. It is your dealer that are the bad ones because they take advantage of FoMoCo and replace the motor even though the warranty should be voided. I probably will get bombarded for saying that

OP
OP
F

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just talked to a well known Ford tech and he's telling me that's BS, that's enough for me so I will be fighting this. Sounds like the dealer is ignorant and I'll be escalating this further.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford should not be liable for changes you make to take the truck out of OEM spec, they sell it as is for a reason that has been well engineered and researched for reliability. Hopefully you can get some assistance, but they should be under no obligation to do so. Just because you have similar equipment to the platinum does not mean you get all the same operations. I have a 2022 platinum and the mirrors do not fold in when locked, so maybe there's an option for that in my settings but I am unaware of it.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Short answer is YES......using Forscan "can" void your warranty if you follow the EULA you signed when you bought your truck.

The software in the truck is not designed to be serviced by anyone outside of Ford. They expressly say this in the EULA. You using Forscan to access the settings, violates the terms of service you signed.

By making changes to the mirror folding feature, you changed the number of duty cycles that part is intended to have and ford "can" void the warranty on that part.

I say "can" because they have to be extreme to call that one out. A mirror is not as expensive as a transmission. But technically, under the law. Ford has the right.

EVERYONE knows, or should know.....any changes you make in the settings via Forscan is at your own risk. You are making unauthorized changes to Fords code.

Sorry. It is what it is.

OP
OP
F

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford should not be liable for changes you make to take the truck out of OEM spec, they sell it as is for a reason that has been well engineered and researched for reliability. Hopefully you can get some assistance, but they should be under no obligation to do so. Just because you have similar equipment to the platinum does not mean you get all the same operations. I have a 2022 platinum and the mirrors do not fold in when locked, so maybe there's an option for that in my settings but I am unaware of it.
There is that option through the advanced settings in your dash though.
Unless the motors were completely different and beefed up over a standard motor that logic doesn't fly. The Ford tech that I just chatted with says what the dealer is trying to pull is BS and is most likely just ignorant of the fact that these mirrors do power fold. If he would have told me different that would be one story but the way he explained it to me is enough for me to pursue this further. I haven't actually taken the truck into Ford for this exact issue so they haven't even diagnosed this problem yet. My service appointment isn't even till the end of August....

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is that option through the advanced settings in your dash though.
Unless the motors were completely different and beefed up over a standard motor that logic doesn't fly. The Ford tech that I just chatted with says what the dealer is trying to pull is BS and is most likely just ignorant of the fact that these mirrors do power fold. If he would have told me different that would be one story but the way he explained it to me is enough for me to pursue this further. I haven't actually taken the truck into Ford for this exact issue so they haven't even diagnosed this problem yet. My service appointment isn't even till the end of August....
I hope for your sake the tech is correct. I am currently involved in OEM engineering and manufacturing, anything I send out the door has a warranty that is limited to it being used only in the exact state/configuration in which I design, test, and warranty. The number of ways people can make damaging changes to anything is hard to comprehend, which is why I think Ford (no matter how ridiculous it may seem) will stick with the blanket coverage of ANY changes made via Forscan will void the warranty, because of the plethora of problems they would have to examine in a case by case basis otherwise.