Can The Transmission's Shifting Be Improved ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Regarding use of Sport mode on the road, the issue I tend to run into is the truck seems to expect me to push it to 70 or so which is fine on the highway, but not something I can do on the street. Perhaps it would be good to have a 'City Sport' mode designed to shift through gears faster, but don't hang on to a gear when you're already going 40 on a 35 MPH road?

Normal mode is fine much of the time, but at least in my area, there are a lot of roads that have decent traffic with somewhere between 30-50 MPH. Normal mode just makes the truck feel slow. Having Sport mode to pass vehicles effortlessly would be nice, but I don't need the truck prepped for me to punch it up to 70.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ This. Sport mode is just plain annoying unless you want to drive like a retard. I only use "retard" because my first ten choices will get replaced by asterisks. I mean it in full respect to all of you developmentally delayed people out there.
I've been driving in Sport mode for the entire life of my truck so far, and I don't even drive like a jerk either, just seems to be that much more enjoyable. Normal mode is horrendous!.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been driving in Sport mode for the entire life of my truck so far, and I don't even drive like a jerk either, just seems to be that much more enjoyable. Normal mode is horrendous!.
I'm a weirdo, especially these days. When I was a kid I learned to drive vehicles with gas engines and two non-synchromesh trannies. I drove many miles hauling fruit with a '46 Chevy ten-wheeler. I learned to listen to the engine to tell when to shift and when to engage the clutch again to grab the next gear. I can't not listen. When I've put my Raptor in manual by accident, I don't bounce off the rev limiter in first gear because I know something is wrong. This is my first truck with an automatic. The others I would drive from time to time without using the clutch just for entertainment. So sport mode drives me crazy because I know when it's the best time to shift for what I'm about at the moment and I hear the tranny not doing it. Normal mode shifts like a miser but I can enjoy that because I can appreciate how they optimized for mileage, having done that myself with a manual for the entertainment. Tow/haul is a reasonable every day drive around mode. And you don't have to mess around with shifting, which is nice. A manual in stop and go traffic gets old. When I'm off road, I don't bother with modes, I just put it in manual. Everyone is happier that way.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm a weirdo, especially these days. When I was a kid I learned to drive vehicles with gas engines and two non-synchromesh trannies. I drove many miles hauling fruit with a '46 Chevy ten-wheeler. I learned to listen to the engine to tell when to shift and when to engage the clutch again to grab the next gear. I can't not listen. When I've put my Raptor in manual by accident, I don't bounce off the rev limiter in first gear because I know something is wrong. This is my first truck with an automatic. The others I would drive from time to time without using the clutch just for entertainment. So sport mode drives me crazy because I know when it's the best time to shift for what I'm about at the moment and I hear the tranny not doing it. Normal mode shifts like a miser but I can enjoy that because I can appreciate how they optimized for mileage, having done that myself with a manual for the entertainment. Tow/haul is a reasonable every day drive around mode. And you don't have to mess around with shifting, which is nice. A manual in stop and go traffic gets old. When I'm off road, I don't bother with modes, I just put it in manual. Everyone is happier that way.

Today I ran around a bit in Tow/Haul mode. It’s definitely a step up from Normal. The tranny actually has less drama going on as well. The shifts are straight on point per say.

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yo! Checking in on this. How’s it driving now?
It drives great! No regrets going with Goose whatsoever. The transmission shifts very smooth, power noticeably increased (all I have is an exhaust so I’m basically stock), and the throttle response is also noticeably better. The only downside is having to put premium fuel in. I’m currently in California visiting family and that stuff is $5.09/gal at some places!