GEN 1 Can someone tell me what this is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I’m leaking something on the rear axle. Anyone know what I’m in for here? I just noticed it today so I’ll be pulling the wheel to see what’s going on

Passenger side
9727e596569ec311542371bec4a4cbe8.jpg

Drivers side
386305c056280a743d6f19f033c4fa43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure it’s called a brake caliper noise damper, but honestly I haven’t seen one in a while. They might be common in different regions? But I’m pretty sure it has something to do with noise.

Sorry, I see the oil stain now. I could only see those large circular drums sticking off the caliper at first. Sorry I shared the wrong info, I’ve owned 2 f150s and worked on a handful more and never seen those caliper noise dampers. Maybe I’m the odd one out? Are those more common?

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure the parking brakes are saturated and need replacement.
And if the leak is getting to brake pads then that's a big problem.
If it's the caliper, I'd be very worried!!!

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn’t even worry about it. Until you have fluid dripping on the ground, it’s not going to impact driving the truck.
What! Not too good advice, axle seal is out have it repaired and save the problems down the road.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really not anything to panic about. Unless your actively dripping oil or see it getting on brake system components it isn't a big deal. 10 year old trucks, stuff leaks.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What! Not too good advice, axle seal is out have it repaired and save the problems down the road.
Unless you’re driving through water and sucking debris up into your axle, it’s not going to grenade anything to drive on that. It never hurts to clean parts off and give it some time and see what happens with it.