Can phaser rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not getting the update. If phasers start rattling I will have it done then . I hate any updates. Sounds like engineering is looking the calibration to fix transmission shudder now with this fix.. My truck runs strong . My 14 tremor made buzzing noise in trans while in park .tsb was new lead frame and reflash. I had a trans service at 25000 miles fluid and filter change and had tech retorque valve body to spec . Never had noise again .

BlauRapAF35

Reaction score
What went wrong with your transmission?
So around 29K miles on cold startup the transmission would hold onto 1st gear and suddenly stop accelerating momentarily. Lots of loud clunking between 1st and 4th gear. One morning it just started in 4th gear and wouldn’t go below 4th until I turned the truck off. Once the transmission was warmed up the issue was gone. Took it into the dealer and they diagnosed that the valve body needed replacement. After that work was completed the transmission seemed off and I was told it was due to the transmission learning cycle.

The family and I decided to take a road trip 800 miles after the valve body was replaced and while we were doing 80mph down the 15 freeway in Utah the transmission seemingly out of nowhere downshifted to 1st and it was extremely loud and violent. The transmission then immediately shifted to 9th gear and it began to overheat. We pulled off to the side of the road, restarted the truck and it stopped overheating. As long as it stayed in 10th after the restart it wouldn’t overheat. When the transmission downshifted to 9th it would begin to overheat again.

TexasAggie94

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also saw the recall message in the app today. Question for the group; do I take it in if I am not experiencing any issues or better to take it in to prevent more significant damage like transmission damage?

Attachments

• 40379E6B-BD96-46FC-8212-D2341A489AA6.png
    40379E6B-BD96-46FC-8212-D2341A489AA6.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 2

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also saw the recall message in the app today. Question for the group; do I take it in if I am not experiencing any issues or better to take it in to prevent more significant damage like transmission damage?
Better to take it in so you have the latest programming which is designed to prevent cam phaser noise from developing. It has nothing to do with the transmission.

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the update last week and having the reprogram done tomorrow. I have a 2019 built in 6/19 and with 34k miles my truck got the tick after 30k miles.

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took mine in today for the repair and they wanted to do the reflash first to see if that fixes it. I'm pretty sure they know it won't but said they don't want the repair denied by Ford because they didn't try it. They did give me a pretty sweet loaner though... new Bronco! It's not the bigger off-road version but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

8B1D4371-CBFF-4867-A309-E659C7EAA14C.jpeg

Savage1X

Reaction score
I saw the message on my FordPass app yesterday. My truck just happens to be at the dealership for a few days. I called and asked about this recall notice. She told me Ford told them NOT to do the fix because it is causing transmission issues.
They said the cam phaser rattle update is causing transmission issues?

i just brought my 2017 in for a reflash because it was shifting hard and downshifting hard in normal mode.
Now after the reflash and cam phaser rattle update - it shifts great in Normal mode but in Sport mode the shifting is hard it bucks and holds long to redline in 4th going into 5th. Anyone else experiencing this?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They said the cam phaser rattle update is causing transmission issues?

i just brought my 2017 in for a reflash because it was shifting hard and downshifting hard in normal mode.
Now after the reflash and cam phaser rattle update - it shifts great in Normal mode but in Sport mode the shifting is hard it bucks and holds long to redline in 4th going into 5th. Anyone else experiencing this?
No. The cam phaser recalibration has nothing to do with the transmission.

When the PCM is recalibrated all of the adaptive tables are reset. The PCM will take a couple hundred miles to relearn.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the cam Phaser rattle?

I ask because for the first time yesterday, or at least the first time I heard it, there was a metal, tingy sounding rattle at remote start. Lasted a few seconds only.
The phaser rattle is loud and clanky like a roller coaster chain slapping on the bottom of the track that lasts just a couple of seconds. If you’re hearing a metallic rattley sound that lasts a minute or so it’s likely just the wastegate linkage and nothing to worry about.