Can I use jumper cables to power a winch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I want a winch, but I don't want to go through the hassle of replacing/relocating my intercooler and collision detection module. I'm thinking of getting a hitch receiver winch mount so I can simply slide it in when I need it. I have a set of 25' 0 gauge jumper cables. Would it be possible to simply use those for power, then just disconnect everything and toss it back in the bed when I'm done?

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t see why not.

It’s not very hard to run a cable along the frame and up to the battery either so it’s permanently there with a quick disconnect tucked up by your trailer harness that way you can fuse it etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t see why not.

It’s not very hard to run a cable along the frame and up to the battery either so it’s permanently there with a quick disconnect tucked up by your trailer harness that way you can fuse it etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After receiving the winch and testing it out using the jumper cables, I'm going to go ahead with the quick disconnect route instead. I realized that in situations where I need to pull myself out and my truck will be the one in motion, I would be entirely way to worried about the cable ends touching each other and/or running them over as i'm pulling myself out.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd put a quick connect on both ends. Very handy to be able to use it on the front or rear of the truck.

MrHomeGuy

Reaction score
I have a toy loader winch the bed head to pull up my ATVs and bike. I cut the ends of heavy duty number cables and have them mounted from the batter and zip tied inside the frame to the bed with quick disconnects. The cables at the battery have an 85 amp in line fuse (car stereo dealer had this in stock) Had this on 4 trucks - 2012 F140, 2016 F150, 2018, Raptor and 2019 Raptor.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look into welding cable, its plenty flexible and has very fine wire strands to carry more current with less voltage drop...