Can Anyone Recommend an Oil Filter Wrench?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the first oil change today (what a mess), but could not get the factory filter off no matter how much I manhandled it. Thought I was crushing it so I gave up. My old school handle filter wrench just didn’t fit right to twist it off. Ended up leaving it on until the next change. Is there a decent one out there that’ll work with a socket wrench? What do you guys recommend? They sure don’t make oil changes easy on this truck. I have a half dozen of the F500 filters here I ordered, is there a tool which fits this specific filter?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use Channel Lock pliers. When removing the filter, it does crush it slightly but it does the job on many oil filter sizes. It’s about $15.

There may not be enough room for a socket. There’s not much room for anything lol.

42369627-6951-4292-9716-15047A38EEA9.jpeg

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a cup style 3/8ths drive from Wal Mart that fits our filter only (not a multi fit one) and it works like a charm. I think it was like 4 bucks. Grab a filter off the shelf and take it over and find the right one.

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you get the factory filter off. You should never need a wrench for removing the filter again....as long as you do your changes yourself and don't overtighen.
But it is nice to have a backup just incase

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hand tighten my filter but it won't come off by hand at all. I went though a bunch of filter wrenches - I finally found the one that works best for me. As a note, I use the Ford Racing oil filter which is a bigger diameter than the OEM ford filter. I brought my filter to AutoZone to make sure that the wrench would fit. Also note, make sure you get the right size for whatever filter you are using.

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-g...o-3-1-4in-swivel-oil-filter-wrench/964999_0_0

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep a cup one handy for my adult kids cars. They get the oil changed at the "lube" places, and every now and then I line up the supplies and offer to do the change when they are over the house visiting. That way I can also make sure fluids are topped, terminals aren't corroding, and the air filter is looking good.

I bought a filter wrench after extreme difficulty removing a filter that was over-tightened on my Daughter's SUV.

Biggwrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must have been married too long. I havent had a problem by hand.
(Tho i am 6’7 270)

Do have a set from autozone of different sizes, and a backup channel lock one like above. Dont want to have to do the screwdriver trick, gets messy.

OP
OP
REMIX

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. There isn't a ton of room to even get a screwdriver in there without taking the entire skid plate off. I really didn't want to mess with that today. I did install a Fumoto drain plug, so the mess where oil pours out of nearly everywhere shouldn't occur again. Next time, when I finally get the factory filter off, it seems like it should be a pretty easy job.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get one that operates like this. Put a 1/2" drive extension on the bottom, attach to a ratchet handle. The more you turn the handle the tighter the wings cam in and grab the filter. Mine is a bit different but works on the same cam principle, and between this and the Channellock pictured above, there hasn't been a filter I've not been able to remove in ~50 years, and believe me, there have been some doozies...... Adapts to different size filters. Good luck....

ix2Xl9.jpg

llDpS0.jpg

Last edited: