Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Can Anyone Recommend an Oil Filter Wrench?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by REMIX, Feb 7, 2020.

1. REMIX

REMIX Full Access Member

Did the first oil change today (what a mess), but could not get the factory filter off no matter how much I manhandled it. Thought I was crushing it so I gave up. My old school handle filter wrench just didn’t fit right to twist it off. Ended up leaving it on until the next change. Is there a decent one out there that’ll work with a socket wrench? What do you guys recommend? They sure don’t make oil changes easy on this truck. I have a half dozen of the F500 filters here I ordered, is there a tool which fits this specific filter?

2. JohnyPython

JohnyPython Full Access Member

I use Channel Lock pliers. When removing the filter, it does crush it slightly but it does the job on many oil filter sizes. It’s about $15.

There may not be enough room for a socket. There’s not much room for anything lol.

42369627-6951-4292-9716-15047A38EEA9.jpeg

3. David Godbee

David Godbee Full Access Member

I bought a cup style 3/8ths drive from Wal Mart that fits our filter only (not a multi fit one) and it works like a charm. I think it was like 4 bucks. Grab a filter off the shelf and take it over and find the right one.

4. Refugio

Refugio Full Access Member

Once you get the factory filter off. You should never need a wrench for removing the filter again....as long as you do your changes yourself and don't overtighen.
    But it is nice to have a backup just incase

5. nikhsub1

nikhsub1 FRF Addict

I hand tighten my filter but it won't come off by hand at all. I went though a bunch of filter wrenches - I finally found the one that works best for me. As a note, I use the Ford Racing oil filter which is a bigger diameter than the OEM ford filter. I brought my filter to AutoZone to make sure that the wrench would fit. Also note, make sure you get the right size for whatever filter you are using.

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-g...o-3-1-4in-swivel-oil-filter-wrench/964999_0_0

6. JustBillin

JustBillin Full Access Member

I keep a cup one handy for my adult kids cars. They get the oil changed at the "lube" places, and every now and then I line up the supplies and offer to do the change when they are over the house visiting. That way I can also make sure fluids are topped, terminals aren't corroding, and the air filter is looking good.

I bought a filter wrench after extreme difficulty removing a filter that was over-tightened on my Daughter's SUV.

JP77 likes this.
  7. Biggwrm

Biggwrm Full Access Member

I must have been married too long. I havent had a problem by hand.
    (Tho i am 6’7 270)

Do have a set from autozone of different sizes, and a backup channel lock one like above. Dont want to have to do the screwdriver trick, gets messy.

8. REMIX

REMIX Full Access Member

Thanks for the info. There isn't a ton of room to even get a screwdriver in there without taking the entire skid plate off. I really didn't want to mess with that today. I did install a Fumoto drain plug, so the mess where oil pours out of nearly everywhere shouldn't occur again. Next time, when I finally get the factory filter off, it seems like it should be a pretty easy job.

9. Johnkn

Johnkn Full Access Member

Get one that operates like this. Put a 1/2" drive extension on the bottom, attach to a ratchet handle. The more you turn the handle the tighter the wings cam in and grab the filter. Mine is a bit different but works on the same cam principle, and between this and the Channellock pictured above, there hasn't been a filter I've not been able to remove in ~50 years, and believe me, there have been some doozies...... Adapts to different size filters. Good luck....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    isis, REMIX and JohnyPython like this.
  10. Crunchtime2k

Crunchtime2k Member