Cams & Head Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guy's.

Pardon the many questions, I appreciate your help.

I want to do something other than a supercharger because they are so damn expensive.

I'm thinking Cam's and Heads. What type of increase would I expect from doing these upgrades?

What type of tune would I need to get?

I'm on the west coast and would like only the best to work on my truck. AZ, NV, or CA location. Any idea who that would be?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not an expert RIKU, but I've worked with experts and I've done my own version of this idea (on another platform). Heads and cams are not the problem; tuning them, is. You're going to want to find a competent tuner who can guarantee that their tune will not affect the off road specific calibrations of the Raptor. And to my knowledge, nobody out there is willing to 'go there' yet.

If you're really interested in this and have a pioneering spirit, I can recommend to you the shop/tuner who built my Magnum. They have my complete confidence, and I doubt you'll find someone better experienced or equipped to give this truck's special requirements a shot.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dante Modular Performance is a big lightning shop in southern Cali. I email SCT to find out if they have support for the Raptor and not just 09+ F-150 but they need the 4 digit ECU code which I don't have access to right now.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dante Modular Performance is a big lightning shop in southern Cali. I email SCT to find out if they have support for the Raptor and not just 09+ F-150 but they need the 4 digit ECU code which I don't have access to right now.
Can I help with that Tank?

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
RIKU,

From what I've heard the stock 3v heads already flow pretty damn good. Cams are supposed to be a good mod for the 5.4 though... Ford racing has a set as well as other cam manufacturers.

The problem as BigJ as said, is the tune. You'll definitely need a tune with any major mod! And finding someone competent/knowledgeable is the challenge. Out near the Las Vegas Motor Speedway there are a few shops that might be worth a try... Shelby has a place there so I'm pretty sure there are some knowledgeable Ford people around. That's where I would start... someone can probably recommend someone if nothing else.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
RIKU,

From what I've heard the stock 3v heads already flow pretty damn good. Cams are supposed to be a good mod for the 5.4 though... Ford racing has a set as well as other cam manufacturers.

The problem as BigJ as said, is the tune. You'll definitely need a tune with any major mod! And finding someone competent/knowledgeable is the challenge. Out near the Las Vegas Motor Speedway there are a few shops that might be worth a try... Shelby has a place there so I'm pretty sure there are some knowledgeable Ford people around. That's where I would start... someone can probably recommend someone if nothing else.
Stock for stock the 3v heads out flow C and B cast 4v heads. The FRPP Hot Cams are nice choice for some who want to kept stock like driveabilty and keep the VCT system. Comp has a wide range of options for the 3v Motor. As far as heads go there are a lot of proven options. The biggest choke point on these trucks are the intake manifolds. Ford should have given us a Mustang style intake.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, there is a 4 digit code on the side of the ECU. Assuming all 5.4 Raptors use the same ECU and its not the same as 09+ F-150 this would tell us if SCT really does have tuning for these trucks.
Here ya go Tank: XPF3

ecu_54_2010.jpg

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
the Raptors do not have the same 4 digit code. Apparently there are 2 or more, possibly a newer upgrade for Job1 Job2 cause when I gave mine to JDM they did not have it yet.