GEN 2 Camburg Mid Travel With Live Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you what, you go cruise barstow main in any linked truck. ( which will have both coilovers and bypasses)

If you dont think that you need bypasses to control the suspension travel on the rear, then by your logic, they should be cold.

go ahead and grab that king 4.5 shock body, since it should be cold.

In reality, you can fry bacon on them.

just because you "could" do it, doesn't mean that you'll be happy how it works. Those coilovers have nowhere near the effective friction surface, nor do they have effective pressure capabilities to control a 37" tire all day ( or even for 30 mins) in the dirt.

I have yet to see even a serious "play truck" merely running a Coilover on a rear short course setup.
I know Barstow main very well. Still dont need bypasses on Kibbs kit, why dont you tell him that he needs them. He uses the big King 3.3 IBP c/o shocks and by the looks of the Grey Truck I'd say Ryan is fine in what hes using. If you are going to use both c/o and bypasses then using a short course style link setup is not ideal, go full back half at that point. Just because a truck doesnt have bypasses and is linked doesnt mean it wont world well look at what RG used to use for many, many years. Thats right big internal bypass shocks one on each corner. For what Ryan is doing in regards to a short course link system his setup is fine. If you absolutely need a second set of shocks forget the SC style and back half the truck.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I know Barstow main very well. Still dont need bypasses on Kibbs kit, why dont you tell him that he needs them. He uses the big King 3.3 IBP c/o shocks and by the looks of the Grey Truck I'd say Ryan is fine in what hes using. If you are going to use both c/o and bypasses then using a short course style link setup is not ideal, go full back half at that point. Just because a truck doesnt have bypasses and is linked doesnt mean it wont world well look at what RG used to use for many, many years. Thats right big internal bypass shocks one on each corner. For what Ryan is doing in regards to a short course link system his setup is fine. If you absolutely need a second set of shocks forget the SC style and back half the truck.

Agree to disagree I guess. Some people also dig beamed trucks, I personally hate driving them. I would much rather take the simplicity and durability of a properly tuned leaf spring truck over kibbe's kit with just the coilover. I'm just not a fan of the setup at all without a bypass. Hell, I've seen bump stop kit frames get bent to hell on leaf spring trucks because the owner thought that 3.5" shocks in the rear were overkill and went with 3.0s.

The extra control and dampening surely increase functionality, but it also plays a huge part in durability too. I'd probably flip-flop on leaf spring vs kibbe's kit with bypasses depending on which truck I rode in last or had to fix last. With just the coilover? 100% leaf spring preference.

Don N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that this has been out for a while, anyone have any updated thoughts/reviews on it? I like the idea of trying to keep the live valve tech while getting as much travel out of the system possible. As mentioned by another poster, I wish they had just done a full replacement spindle with their set up.

Seems like with this camburg set up, you get 15" of travel? So going with a SVC or RPG kit would give you another 1" or so of travel in the front, but you lose the live valve tech?

Trying to decide what's more important to me right now. I really would like to keep the live valve tech, but ideally not at the sacrifice of too much wheel travel.