Cam Shaft Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hekster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just made an appointment to a local dealer on the Cam Phaser rattle.
I believe it will be a software update.
Will this work and solve the problem?
Looking for some input.
And I have a recall also for Power Door Lock Actuator. Door locks work fine so I don’t know what they will do or don’t do
Looking also for some input on this if anyone had it done… Thanks…

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had this recall performed on my truck. It fixed the rattle I was getting on cold starts and when idling at times. The truck seems to run a lot smoother now and I've noticed the transmission shifts better as well. It seems like the artificial engine noise they play through the speakers went away also. I have the limited exhaust on mine and all I hear now really is turbo noise which I like. I wish the truck would have been like this from the factory. Of course it's running perfect right when I'm about to trade it in.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The software update is designed to prevent the rattle from developing. If you already have a rattle on cold start, the phasers will need to be replaced.

MD MUD

Reaction score
Techone, can this update be installed with a tune in the truck. Or should I reinstall the factory tune before going to the dealership?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Techone, can this update be installed with a tune in the truck. Or should I reinstall the factory tune before going to the dealership?
The update will overwrite the tune, so it should be returned to factory to prevent programming issues. You also can’t reinstall the tune afterward unless your tuner has updated the files using the latest factory calibration. Otherwise you’ll just over write the new Ford calibration.

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The software update is designed to prevent the rattle from developing. If you already have a rattle on cold start, the phasers will need to be replaced.
My truck didn't have the cam phaser rattle yet that others are describing on here. I believe it was the BOV's making the noise I was hearing. That is no longer present either when I start the truck or after it has been idling. The truck runs much smoother now. I've never had any software updates done to the truck since I bought it (as far as I know anyway) so I suppose other updates could have also been done at the same time.

Reaction score
Just had the 15,000 maintenance done last week. I had requested the new TSB for the software update to prevent the cam phaser issue. I was told by the service writer Ford temporarily put the TSB on hold as it was causing transmission issues! Anyone else being told this?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just had the 15,000 maintenance done last week. I had requested the new TSB for the software update to prevent the cam phaser issue. I was told by the service writer Ford temporarily put the TSB on hold as it was causing transmission issues! Anyone else being told this?
The service advisor is wrong. The new calibration was released 7/15 and is available when running the VIN in OASIS. Program 21B10 Supplement #2.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My transmission was shifting perfectly. Until the update was done. It now slams into D. And 3-4 4-3 shifts are harsh. Any thoughts??? Can I fix this?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My transmission was shifting perfectly. Until the update was done. It now slams into D. And 3-4 4-3 shifts are harsh. Any thoughts??? Can I fix this?
You may need to do a transmission adaptive relearn. Here’s the procedure; I believe FoScan has the ability to clear the adaptive tables:

Adaptive Learning Drive Cycle
Programming

NOTE:
Perform the adaptive learning drive cycle on a level road surface.

1. Using the scan tool, clear the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and Transmission Adaptive Tables.
  1. Drive the vehicle until the engine and transmission reach normal operating temperature.
  1. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle (15%) ensuring that upshifts 1st through 8th occur at engine speeds between 1300-1600 rpm.
  1. Continue to accelerate (may apply slightly more throttle after 7-8 upshift at 32-38 mph (51-61 km/h) until you achieve 55 mph (88 km/h) and the 8-9 and 9-10 shifts complete.
  1. Brake very gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for five (5) seconds.
  1. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.
  1. Shift the transmission to Reverse. Wait 2 seconds.
  1. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.
  1. Shift the transmission to Drive. Wait 2 seconds.
  1. Repeat Steps 3 through 9 six additional times.