Cam Phasers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dancam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You either have it or you don’t; it’s not something you have to listen for. It’s a very distinct rattle noise that occurs for 2-5 seconds and can be heard inside or outside of the truck. The replacement parts were revised to eliminate the failure mode. The people who had a repeat repair had the service performed before the new parts were available.
I strongly believe the issue is driving style related , hence same have it once or even more than once while others never.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2019 with 25k sounds like it may be beginning the “rattling” upon start up. Build date (according to window sticker) is 4/4/2019. I also have an occasional slight oil smell ( no visible leaks). Is this the beginning of the dreaded cam phaser issue
As I said earlier...you don’t need to listen for it. If it has the issue, the noise is distinct and will last 2-5 seconds and only on a cold start. An oil smell has nothing to do with cam phasers, do you have an aftermarket air intake?

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that my '19 has the problem as well. It was manufactured 02/19 so likely doesn't have the revised part. There is a very noticeable/distinct rattle on cold starts--almost sounds like something rattling against a metal heat shield or something, and then it goes away after five seconds or so.

However, when I watch the videos that others have posted, I'm not hearing the same noise as on my truck--the videos sound much more subtle. Is that maybe just an anomaly of the videos and the problem is more easily noticed in person?

Also, I'm at 41k miles, so would I still be covered under the powertrain warranty if there's a TSB on the issue and my truck is proven to have the problem?

OP
OP
Rustler

Rustler

Reaction score
Circling back on this thread: Dealer replaced the cam phasers under warranty. Noise on startup in my earlier videos is gone.

Bozeman Ford added a classy "valued Ford customer touch" and went out of their way to get a credit card number from to ensure they could charge me the $17 difference between conventional oil and the Motorcraft synthetic I have been filling with. I know this is grousing about pretty minor stuff, all things considered, but to have a major part fail at 30k miles (the second significant engine work, FWIW) which requires them to drain my perfectly good oil, and then charge me to put the same stuff back in did not sit well with me.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be fair, it doesn't sound like they charged to put factory-specified oil back in, they charged the difference between that and the more expensive solution per the customer request.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To be fair, it doesn't sound like they charged to put factory-specified oil back in, they charged the difference between that and the more expensive solution per the customer request.
Yes that is what he said - doesn't make it feel less nickel and dime ish though.