GEN 2 Cam Phasers Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedRptr

Reaction score
Sounds like there may be a workmanship issue. Replacing all phasers with the updated parts will correct the issue of a rattle noise on cold start; oil pressure is irrelevant as the noise is the result of the phaser pins not properly locking, not a lack of oil pressure. Let us know what they find.
Will do. Crazy thing this is a replacement OF the updated parts. So it’s new parts getting replaced with new parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has a super slight rattle for a second or two only when it’s been sitting for at least a day so I’m not sure if I qualify for the update. I’m bummed cause I don’t want to run out of warranty when it starts getting worse!

RedRptr

Reaction score
That's why I'm suspecting a workmanship issue or misdiagnosis.
Heard back today, not looking good. Don’t have a full write up yet, but engine tech said oil pressure test results were all over the place. Said phasers will definitely need to be replaced, but also appears to have some kind of oiling problem (oil through the phasers? Unsure of mechanical action that takes place).

So that’s the latest. They mentioned potential oil pump replacement, and maybe even a new motor. But still a few weeks before we know more it sounds like. Disappointing.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Heard back today, not looking good. Don’t have a full write up yet, but engine tech said oil pressure test results were all over the place. Said phasers will definitely need to be replaced, but also appears to have some kind of oiling problem (oil through the phasers? Unsure of mechanical action that takes place).

So that’s the latest. They mentioned potential oil pump replacement, and maybe even a new motor. But still a few weeks before we know more it sounds like. Disappointing.

The phasers operate off of oil pressure, which explains why they aren’t working properly with the oil pressure being out of specification. They need to diagnose the oil pressure issue first. Keep us posted.

RedRptr

Reaction score
The phasers operate off of oil pressure, which explains why they aren’t working properly with the oil pressure being out of specification. They need to diagnose the oil pressure issue first. Keep us posted.
Update: Ford Engineering is recommending oil pump replacement, along with phasers and, we checked, a new timing chain too. Not sure the exact write up language yet but that’s the verbal discussion we had.

After the oil pump and those other components are replaced, they’re going to do another oil pressure test. If that comes back bad, they will recommend a new engine, per Ford engineering (per our service tech).

RedRptr

Reaction score
Update:

Ford Corporate has opened a case for us, and verbally has told us this sounds like a plausible buyback situation. The case representative is reaching out to the dealership today and will let us know something in 3-5 business days.

For summary, the vehicle (under warranty) has been in the shop a total of 4.5 months now, and the current length is 1 month for this latest issue.

RedRptr

Reaction score
Update: expedition still in shop. Got a new oil pump put in, but unknown if this has fixed the issue. Was getting put back together. Ford Corp was sending a “technical team” to review the car and case for potential buyback.

It has now been in the shop total of over 130 days and counting for all repairs.