GEN 2 Cam Phasers Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zach Bowling

Reaction score
Had mine replaced at 45000 on my 17’ this summer, job surprisingly only took a day or so and that dreaded cold start rattle went away. Thanks for sharing the video, cool to see that what they did to mine wasn’t too invasive!

RedRptr

Reaction score
My wife’s expedition is in for her third cam phaser and timing chain replacement. Once was the old parts, back in 2018. 2019 (12k miles later) she got it again and they put in the new parts.

Now, almost 12k after that replacement, we lost all turbo power and got a power train warning. Brought it in and they’re saying it’s cam phaser and timing chain again, will need to be replaced. May be time for a buyout or a free extended warranty....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRptr

Reaction score
My wife’s expedition is in for her third cam phaser and timing chain replacement. Once was the old parts, back in 2018. 2019 (12k miles later) she got it again and they put in the new parts.

Now, almost 12k after that replacement, we lost all turbo power and got a power train warning. Brought it in and they’re saying it’s cam phaser and timing chain again, will need to be replaced. May be time for a buyout or a free extended warranty....

[mention]FordTechOne [/mention] forgot to tag you, thought you’d find this interesting.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

When in 2019 did they do the repair? The timing chain should not need to be replaced; the root cause is the phasers themselves, which is why the TSB directs the dealer not to replace any other timing components unless they identify a visual issue. Definitely a red flag if they billed out a timing chain on both repairs...

RedRptr

Reaction score
When in 2019 did they do the repair? The timing chain should not need to be replaced; the root cause is the phasers themselves, which is why the TSB directs the dealer not to replace any other timing components unless they identify a visual issue. Definitely a red flag if they billed out a timing chain on both repairs...
So, I pulled out the service records from both repairs to make sure I got this right:

8/29/19 was the first repair, it was flagged as 6256AT: camshaft sprocket or VCT. Found loose spring on one tensioner and excessive movement in other phaser units. Installed 4 new phaser sprocket, reset base timing and reassembled.

2/3/20 was the second repair. SSM 48445 referenced in notes. Reprogrammed PCM and still rattled. Replaced all 4 phasers per hotline and ssm 48445. Relearned misfire profile correction and test drive.

So I was incorrect in timing chain, my apologies.

RedRptr

Reaction score
We took it in once before the first repair but they did not do a repair then, as they could not verify the rattle noise. I think that was about a month or two before the first repair.

RedRptr

Reaction score
Update: they’re running an active oil pressure test to ensure no underlying issues before they replace the phasers

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update: they’re running an active oil pressure test to ensure no underlying issues before they replace the phasers

Sounds like there may be a workmanship issue. Replacing all phasers with the updated parts will correct the issue of a rattle noise on cold start; oil pressure is irrelevant as the noise is the result of the phaser pins not properly locking, not a lack of oil pressure. Let us know what they find.