Cam Phasers recall mistakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Todd Miller

Reaction score
My 2018 Raptor is original, stock cam phasers and settings. I contacted my dealer for updates of program and cam phasers under the Ford recall letters. 6-weeks is next appointment. Sad news was if you’d not had retuned phaser program before April 2022, you don’t come up on Fords list of Raptor owners for service work on cam phasers which they said was $2500 minimum. Well at 17K miles I’m protected, as well under the Extended Warranty even for nothing more than $100 out of pocket costs if over 5-yr/50K mile power train warranty.

Ford however removed any owners from current listing if you’d not had program change as nothing was wrong or is wrong on my Raptor.

ImAllSCREWdUp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in the same boat. Took the cam phaser and PCM update TSBs to my local dealer (whom I've since cut ties with) and the service manager asked "is there anything wrong with the truck right now?" No "well then the TSBs don't apply" I too missed the window and hope the cam phasers don't bite me in the butt later. My build date was late 2018 and I'm hoping she got the updated phasers. 57k miles with ESP to 100k.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why did you wait so long? The recall (21B10) was released in July of 2021 and expired July 31st, 2022. It had to be completed by February 28th, 2022 to qualify for the extended warranty coverage. You should have received a letter in the mail in addition to the notification in FordPass.

The recall was was preventative, every vehicle in the affected population should have been updated to prevent the issue from developing. Since the recall is expired, you may be on your own. If you develop the problem, I’m not sure how lenient ESP will be in terms of paying for repairs since the recall was not completed within the required time frame.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The interesting thing here is if you have the noise, they are not supposed to update the program just do new hardware as the parts are updated to work with the orginal PCM calibration. Also the new program was often causing issues but you had to have it done prior to the date like FordTechOne said. Id assume if it caused issues and it was rolled back during that time it would still be covered.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The interesting thing here is if you have the noise, they are not supposed to update the program just do new hardware as the parts are updated to work with the orginal PCM calibration. Also the new program was often causing issues but you had to have it done prior to the date like FordTechOne said. Id assume if it caused issues and it was rolled back during that time it would still be covered.
The new software (recall 21B10) is supposed to be installed regardless of which version of phasers are installed on the vehicle. Vehicles build 11/19 and later came from the factory with the new software.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new software (recall 21B10) is supposed to be installed regardless of which version of phasers are installed on the vehicle. Vehicles build 11/19 and later came from the factory with the new software.
and if the shutter comes roll back then?

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: The dealer agreed to do the thermostat under ESP and I paid for a complete coolant flush. Problem solved. The truck runs 194-198 idle and after boost best I could get it to peak at was about 207 while running forscan. So I expect towing I'll be well under the 226 to get it to show on the dash and no more peaks to 235. I cant imagine how much my fans have been running to keep things in check. The interesting thing is the tech didn't want to do the work because he said the 235 was within spec. I had to explain to the service advisor being in spec and being where it should be are two completely different things. They honestly should be doing a thermostat and full flush every time they open up the cooling system for phasers. I bet there are a lot more trucks running around that don't even know that they are running hotter than prior.

Raptor in MS

Reaction score
I have a 2018 F-150 Raptor that is nearly four years old. I purchased it brand new from the local ford dealership. I will make a long story short. My vehicle has 39K miles and 47 months old. I took it in to have the engine rattle noise (upon start-up) checked out. The dealer immediately deemed it a cam phaser issue. They gave me a loaner F-150 truck and took two weeks to gather all the parts involved to replace the cam phasers. Once the parts came in, then it took about one week to complete the work. I picked up the Raptor last Wednesday and all work was performed free of charge. The truck now cranks up in the morning with no rattle noise at all. I am a very please Raptor owner and will buy another later this year! Hope this helps with anyone on the Forum that is or has experienced cam phaser issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free