Cam phasers - plus something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Out of nowhere last week all of a sudden I started hearing the dreaded cam phaser rattle. And now truck is struggling to start after sitting two days. Goes in next Monday for repair.

Anyone hear this before?

Last edited:

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like its out of timing until oil pressure builds up. That's the worst i've heard before. When you start the truck, put your gas pedal to the floor and it will crank but not start. "This should let your oil pressure build up." Wait a few seconds and let off the gas pedal and it will start. See if there is any difference. I've started my truck like this since i had the phasers replaced and haven't had any issues so far.

OP
OP
Frank N

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They used a few parts LOL
And they found one of the intercooler tubes had a crack. I appreciate the thoroughness of my dealers techs.

E9DFDD44-04B2-4507-A378-FA5BAA3C0FEA.jpeg

8D1834CD-4ADA-421B-9817-C1F1A5BA247F.jpeg

T

teeoster

My 2017 is at the dealer right now for the 3rd cam phaser failure(currently at 50,000 miles). It randomly happens but it sounds the same as yours.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Cam phaser fail for me at 45k, waiting on parts. Check engine light stays on and truck has no power.

T

teeoster

My 2017 is at the dealer right now for the 3rd cam phaser failure(currently at 50,000 miles). It randomly happens but it sounds the same as yours.

Trucks been sitting at the dealer for 5 weeks now. I started case with customer service to replace the engine or lemon law the thing.