Cam Phaser service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptormts

Reaction score
took my Gen 2 2018 to the dealer to align the cameras (side cameras stopped working and the rear guidelines disappeared).

When I checked in rep asked if I wanted the Cam Phasers replaced, said it was a Ford "Campaign" not a recall. They are going to keep it for a few days. I figured "Get it done before a problem appears".

I'm not thrilled about them pulling the front of the engine off. Just want everything else to work when I get it back.

T

teeoster

I had mine in 3 times for the Cam Phasers, Ford finally replaced the engine with a 2020 version. No issues since.

Motex2011

Reaction score
Just had the work done on my 2019. Dropped it off at Bill Utter Ford in Denton on a Wednesday and got it back the next Wednesday. I haven't driven it much, so I am hoping that it is fixed properly and I won't need to go back.

I was pleased with that turn around considering how backed up they have been. But, I've bought a lot of vehicles from this dealership and I think that helps. I know that the service department has been outstanding for me over the last 10 years.

Lastly, the service rep estimated that the phaser fix would have cost about $3,500 if I was paying. Make sure to get that noted on your vehicle service records even if it isn't too bad. You don't want to get stuck with it.

Attachments

• Cam Phaser Invoice.jpg
    Cam Phaser Invoice.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 29

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It prevents the issue from occurring. That’s why they extended the warranty for those that have the recall completed. There’s no reason not to do it.
how does it prevent it ?,does it force longer cranking to get oil up there ,or does it do something with the computers to make sure they r locked at shutdown? I had the programming done I believe a year ago ,mine never made a noise ,its an august 19 build ,just curious

TriGui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this only for the older gens? I have a new 2023, Id assume they addressed this during manufacturing?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
how does it prevent it ?,does it force longer cranking to get oil up there ,or does it do something with the computers to make sure they r locked at shutdown? I had the programming done I believe a year ago ,mine never made a noise ,its an august 19 build ,just curious
Phasers don’t need oil on startup, that’s why they lock. If the lock wears out, that causes them to make noise. The software update changes the phaser duty cycle to prevent wear on the lock.

R Level

Reaction score
Just new to the Forum here, welcome all.
Summary - awaiting parts for the dealer to R/R, under warranty, the phasers as they diagnosed the noise at startup.
Question - should I insist (at my expense) the dealership R/R the following parts as well while they have the engine opened up?
* Timing chain
* Water pump
* Thermostat

Anything else?

Thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free