Cam Phaser service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cubsalltheway

Reaction score
I have not taken my truck to get the update regarding cam phasers. Does it actually solve the issue or this just another waste of time? I have extended warranty

RAD972

Reaction score
First of all want to start off by saying hi to everyone on here. I just joined the other day and have picked up a new to me my first 2018 Raptor. I picked up the vehicle about 2 months ago and noticed on the Ford Pass app that I had a few recalls one being this cam phaser recall.
I spoke with the Ford dealer that i purchased the truck from and they advised not to do the service unless I have the issue. They stated it can cause other problems having this service done if the repair is not needed.
Is there any truth to this or is this dealer pulling my leg and just doesn't want to do the work.
I did purchase an extended warranty for 6 years or 70k miles whichever comes first, so I'm at least covered bumper to bumper
Just looking for some advice on this.

Thanks in advance.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
There’s a duty cycle(?) change to programming, which I believe the later model Jen Too Raptors already have. This programming helps prevent the onset of symptoms, but will not cure already “broken" phasers. Part of the programming includes a test drive to ensure there is no ’shudder’ condition, and if there is there are instructions to remediate it.

As with the phasers themselves, not every truck has the problem. Not every truck that goes in for the TSB will have the programming issue, etc. If I recall correctly, getting this done is the gateway to extended coverage for the cam phasers, so you should absolutely get it done.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First of all want to start off by saying hi to everyone on here. I just joined the other day and have picked up a new to me my first 2018 Raptor. I picked up the vehicle about 2 months ago and noticed on the Ford Pass app that I had a few recalls one being this cam phaser recall.
I spoke with the Ford dealer that i purchased the truck from and they advised not to do the service unless I have the issue. They stated it can cause other problems having this service done if the repair is not needed.
Is there any truth to this or is this dealer pulling my leg and just doesn't want to do the work.
I did purchase an extended warranty for 6 years or 70k miles whichever comes first, so I'm at least covered bumper to bumper
Just looking for some advice on this.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome. The recall is all inclusive of the population, meaning the dealer nor anyone else should be telling you whether to have it completed or not. The only issue that can occur is a “shudder”, which is the result of mega cap scoring caused by a lack of maintenance or low oil level. Both of which are possible with a used vehicle.

element217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. The recall is all inclusive of the population, meaning the dealer nor anyone else should be telling you whether to have it completed or not. The only issue that can occur is a “shudder”, which is the result of mega cap scoring caused by a lack of maintenance or low oil level. Both of which are possible with a used vehicle.
@FordTechOne - question for you regarding this update. Have a 2020 that I purchased mid November 2019. I have taken the truck in two times to be updated and it has gotten 40 minutes through the update and then stops and hangs up. They found a positive and negative wire under the dash that are not normal "from the factory wires" that they have said might be causing it and asked if I had wired anything in - which I have not. I THINK the dealer originally tried to sell me on a LoJack system which I denied so MAYBE the wires are from a pre-install of that? Could that be causing an issue with the update that you know of? They have also said not to worry about doing the update if I am not hearing the cam phasers rattle.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne - question for you regarding this update. Have a 2020 that I purchased mid November 2019. I have taken the truck in two times to be updated and it has gotten 40 minutes through the update and then stops and hangs up. They found a positive and negative wire under the dash that are not normal "from the factory wires" that they have said might be causing it and asked if I had wired anything in - which I have not. I THINK the dealer originally tried to sell me on a LoJack system which I denied so MAYBE the wires are from a pre-install of that? Could that be causing an issue with the update that you know of? They have also said not to worry about doing the update if I am not hearing the cam phasers rattle.
Are you running an tune by chance? Aftermarket circuits spliced into the harness can certainly cause programming issues, especially if they spliced into the OBD2 port.

If you purchased the truck new, it sounds like the dealer may have installed an aftermarket alarm/security device and then removed the module and left the circuits upon your purchase. The quick splices they use damage the factory circuits and can cause a variety of concerns. I would bring it to the dealer you purchased it from and request that they remove the aftermarket harness and repair the factory wiring.

If your VIN falls within 21B10, you’ll want to have it performed. The entire purpose of the update is to prevent a phaser rattle issue; it won’t correct a cold start rattle that already exists.