GEN 2 Cam Phaser replacement in your own garage ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graybeard

Reaction score
The service manuals not only tell you the procedure steps, but also call out specific tools required. Some of the tools are only needed if you are replacing certain seals. There are a lot of seals to inspect when pulling these covers off. They press in and out. It is possible generic tools will work just fine.

There is a special tool to install the front main seal. I'd recommend using that tool so that the seal is aligned properly. You need a puller to remove the front pulley and an installer to put it back on. You clearly need a good T55 and a torque wrench. Fuel lines have a special disconnect tool. It's not over the top.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Oh... Almost forgot. The last step after performing the mechanical portion of this service is to perform the "Misfire monitor neutral profile correction" procedure. I used Forscan to perform this and it worked just fine. The ECU needs to relearn the camshaft positions after the phasers are replaced.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
HAven't we discussed using a hand held tuner where the custom "tune" is built off the newer PCM update software? If say someone like Cobb is using the latest Ford PCM software build to build their own customer tune off of, wouldn't that get him the PCM update he is looking for? @GooseTuned ?

So as soon as someone plugs in the Accessport it will see what version update is on the truck, and use that to file. It will not automatically update their truck to the latest flash from Ford

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bine? Ați făcut-o @ViMo ??
Yes, I managed to reprogram PCM / TCM, everything was successful. Certainly the new programs include many subtle and imperceptible changes, but I discovered an interesting change during the testing of the car, I will explain in the following lines:

Before renewal, in the morning or after a longer period of stopping, in the first minutes of operation and changing gears, at each release of the accelerator pedal there was a very clear engine noise similar to the impact of the chain links (if you keep in hand a chain stretched vertically and dropped to the floor ... probably makes the same sound). But after a few minutes of operation, that noise could not be heard at all.

After resofting, this noise did not appear, even after a few days of standing. The difference is that the engine acceleration tends to stay high even if the accelerator pedal is fully released, the engine deceleration is much slower. It is very likely that the sudden deceleration of the cold engine will cause that "chain rain" noise.

Anyway, after a few thousand km of driving, I am very satisfied with the behavior of the gearbox and the engine, apart from that noise from Cam Phaser ... I will change these parts as soon as possible, unfortunately I still don't have found a supplier for Europe who has these redesigned parts in stock.
The attached image is a PrintScreen during PCM / TCM resofting.

Attachments

• DSC_1032.JPG
    DSC_1032.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here.
Oh, and the cam gears (at least in my 18) are held in by a Torx Plus. Not a standard Torx. Typically designated by “TP”. Like TP-55.
I don’t *think* an update is required. Cam gears are same dia, degree variation. I don’t know about spring load but the solenoids are on/off so I can’t imagine an update would do anything other than change when they are modulated, not the locking feature. But that’s more just speculation lol.
Thanks for the link to that website. Best $20 I'll spend on my 2012!

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I especially like being able to screenshot details like torque settings before I crawl under the truck. And that there are separate drawings for the SVT RAPTOR models.

Attachments

• 20220815_210930.jpg
    20220815_210930.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220815_212004.jpg
    20220815_212004.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 22