Cam Phaser Rattle back 20 miles after being fixed by CAPITAL FORD CARSON CITY NEVADA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That entire video and post are inaccurate and both should be removed. The phaser wear issue is not oil pressure or cam bearing related. The locking pin wear is caused by the phaser duty cycle, hence the new calibration. The parts were also revised to prevent the failure mode in the first place.

Cam journal scoring is caused by lack of maintenance, poor quality oil or filters, or low oil level. It has nothing to do with the mega cap design. Nor will extra bolts in the mega cap prevent damage from occurring.

With the increased phaser duty cycle of the new calibration, any damage to the cam journals will be exposed, since excessive pressure will bleed off before reaching the phasers. This is what causes the shudder concern.

OP
OP
G

Granelli

Reaction score
Capital Ford got the truck in and fixed it last week. Everything is quiet/normal/and running well without codes after 250 miles. They got the job done in 2 days.

Attachments

• IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 6

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
That entire video and post are inaccurate and both should be removed. The phaser wear issue is not oil pressure or cam bearing related. The locking pin wear is caused by the phaser duty cycle, hence the new calibration. The parts were also revised to prevent the failure mode in the first place.

Cam journal scoring is caused by lack of maintenance, poor quality oil or filters, or low oil level. It has nothing to do with the mega cap design. Nor will extra bolts in the mega cap prevent damage from occurring.

With the increased phaser duty cycle of the new calibration, any damage to the cam journals will be exposed, since excessive pressure will bleed off before reaching the phasers. This is what causes the shudder concern.
Great to know because I'm taking mine in for the POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAM FOR CAM PHASER RATTLE

21B10

I suppose this is necessary for my 2019 because Ford sent this notice, and per our conversation, to me on my Ford Pass App. and went in to talk to the Service Advisor about it and set up an appointment for this Monday.

I have changed my oil every 5,000 miles with the proper Ford oil specification full synthetic oil and Motorcraft oil filter, FL500S, and only have 29,*** miles on it with no cam phaser sound.

So I shouldn't have to worry about any shudder after new calibrationprogram, correct

Do you know if I have the updated parts?

Not trying to cause confusion but just trying to fully understand issues.

I deleted post.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great to know because I'm taking mine in for the POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAM FOR CAM PHASER RATTLE

21B10

I suppose this is necessary for my 2019 because Ford sent this notice, and per our conversation, to me on my Ford Pass App. and went in to talk to the Service Advisor about it and set up an appointment for this Monday.

Yep, any trucks build 10/19 or earlier are included. I need to schedule my ‘19 for the update as well.

I have changed my oil every 5,000 miles with the proper Ford oil specification full synthetic oil and Motorcraft oil filter, FL500S, and only have 29,*** miles on it with no cam phaser sound.

So I shouldn't have to worry about any shudder after new calibrationprogram, correct

Do you know if I have the updated parts?

Not trying to cause confusion but just trying to fully understand issues.

I deleted post.

Nope, shouldn’t have anything to worry about since the truck was properly maintained. All trucks built 07/18 and later have the first part revision. However, they can still have the issue due to the calibration, hence the update. All trucks built 11/19 and later have the redesigned phasers and updated calibration.