Cam Phaser rattle AGAIN - 3rd time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is a 2018, and currently has 72000 miles

First replacement was Sep 2019, truck had 27,000 miles -- replaced w/ part C
Second replacement was Mar 2020, truck had 35,000 miles -- replaced w/ part CD
In March of 2022, PCM update 21B10 was done, and just this week my truck has started back up w/ the rattle.
I run Mobil 1 & current miles on this last oil change is just over 5000.

Wondering if anyone else has had to have them replaced 3 times, or after the 21B10 PCM update?

Side note I also had my transmission replaced at 54,000 miles (under warranty)

-mayo

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score

In March of 2022, PCM update 21B10 was done, and just this week my truck has started back up w/ the rattle.

Wondering if anyone else has had to have them replaced 3 times, or after the 21B10 PCM update?

-mayo
Hmmm.... sounds like you did everything exactly how Ford wanted you to do it. Interesting to see the latest CD parts now have failure.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm.... sounds like you did everything exactly how Ford wanted you to do it. Interesting to see the latest CD parts now have failure.
Go away Sasquatch. You know nothing about the original issue in the first place, you’re only here to antagonize the OP and stir the pot as always. You’re a worthless troll and a loser.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

-mayo
What is the symptom? Phaser rattle is a 3-5 second rattle on cold start. If it’s a tinny rattle that lasts longer than that, it’s most likely cold start wastegate rattle, which is normal.

If the symptom is a loud 3-5 second rattle that, there is something else going on that is causing a repeat issue. There are not repeat failures with the new parts and software.

OP
OP
mmayo

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its loud, not wastegate rattle, its for sure the cam phasers. What I am wondering though, is if the time between the "CD" part and the new 21B10 PCM update (2 years) caused a failure?

it wasn't a progressive thing either - this literally just started happening in the past week. Could ambient heat be causing excessive wear on something? I didn't look at my EOT when I started the truck this morning but it is HOT here in Texas so it is not like the truck getting a major cold soak overnight.

OP
OP
mmayo

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EOT was 118* @ startup just now after sitting 10 hours

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It’s exceedingly rare for the latest revision phaser parts to exhibit a failure. Not unheard of, there’s no 100% on any manmade part, but very rare.

I am well aware that datapoint does not help you.
Sounds like warranty will cover you though.

get a stealership service department engaged to repair it. I know this isn’t how anyone wants their ownership experience to go but it’s going to get better.