Cam Phaser rattle AGAIN - 3rd time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Sorry to pile a 3rd person onto someone else’s thread but I’m about to close a deal on a 2017 with 45k on it , it’s currently at ford dealership getting inspection , I will be hopefully buying a Ziegler warranty due to the fact they seem to be the best. If I get the warranty and have this same cam phaser problem would it be covered by warranty ?

Don't know. That would be up to the aftermarket warranty company.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my cam phasers replaced in my 2019 Gen 2 at 30k miles. Initially took it in thinking they would do the reprogram but you should’ve seen the look on my advisors face when I asked if that’s what they were going to do. She said they did a handful of reprograms re the cam phaser issue and had to program them all back as it made it exponentially worse. The dealership was advised by Ford to stop doing the reprograms and so they did the replacement. Fast forward to 51k miles and on cold start she rattles again for a good few seconds. What else are they going to do? A lot of threads seem to point to it being a wastegate rattle and I have no clue if a wastegate rattle would produce that pronounced of a sound. Taking her in tomorrow I’ll keep you guys posted.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had my cam phasers replaced in my 2019 Gen 2 at 30k miles. Initially took it in thinking they would do the reprogram but you should’ve seen the look on my advisors face when I asked if that’s what they were going to do. She said they did a handful of reprograms re the cam phaser issue and had to program them all back as it made it exponentially worse. The dealership was advised by Ford to stop doing the reprograms and so they did the replacement. Fast forward to 51k miles and on cold start she rattles again for a good few seconds. What else are they going to do? A lot of threads seem to point to it being a wastegate rattle and I have no clue if a wastegate rattle would produce that pronounced of a sound. Taking her in tomorrow I’ll keep you guys posted.
The issue was in the first recall release in early 2021 and was resolved in July 2021 with recall Supplement #2. The new calibration prevents the issue from developing, if the dealer didn’t do it then that would explain the repeat issue.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue was in the first recall release in early 2021 and was resolved in July 2021 with recall Supplement #2. The new calibration prevents the issue from developing, if the dealer didn’t do it then that would explain the repeat issue.
So regardless of the cam phaser replacement they still should do a reprogram or would that go hand in hand when they did the replacement? Appreciate the insight!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So regardless of the cam phaser replacement they still should do a reprogram or would that go hand in hand when they did the replacement? Appreciate the insight!
Yes, they need to do FSA 21B10, which is the new software. The original calibration was causing excessive wear on the phaser locks.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they need to do FSA 21B10, which is the new software. The original calibration was causing excessive wear on the phaser locks.
Thanks for the info. Really. Taking her in Saturday for the second torn airbag cover on the steering wheel I’ve had to deal with so that’s been added to the list

OP
OP
mmayo

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***UPDATE***

Got the Raptor(and Expedition) back w/ new cam phasers. Lets hope 3rd time is the charm.

PCM was not updated as I already had the FSA 21B120 done in March.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***UPDATE***

Got the Raptor(and Expedition) back w/ new cam phasers. Lets hope 3rd time is the charm.

Just dropped my 2019 off for the rattle along with 4 other TSB’s. Finally found a dealer who didn’t turn away TSB warranty work AND to my indescribable surprise…after all the fighting and hard times the other two dealerships gave me over warranty service work…they put me in a Platinum for a week.

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just dropped my 2019 off for the rattle along with 4 other TSB’s. Finally found a dealer who didn’t turn away TSB warranty work AND to my indescribable surprise…after all the fighting and hard times the other two dealerships gave me over warranty service work…they put me in a Platinum for a week.
Nice. I guess there's still hope for decent dealerships out there.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***UPDATE***

:favorites13:Going in for round 3 myself. Like you, I'm hoping rd 3 is a charm.