Cam Phaser rattle AGAIN - 3rd time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mmayo

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fordtechone - is it possible something else (oil pump?) is beginning to fail causing this ?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its loud, not wastegate rattle, its for sure the cam phasers. What I am wondering though, is if the time between the "CD" part and the new 21B10 PCM update (2 years) caused a failure?

it wasn't a progressive thing either - this literally just started happening in the past week. Could ambient heat be causing excessive wear on something? I didn't look at my EOT when I started the truck this morning but it is HOT here in Texas so it is not like the truck getting a major cold soak overnight.
From the videos you posted I agree it definitely sounds like a bad phaser. With the root cause ultimately determined to be software, it’s possible than even the redesigned part experienced excessive wear over the 2 year period between the part replacement and software update. There is no correlation with ambient temperature, and while poor maintenance will certainly cause component wear, your oil brand and oil change intervals don’t point to that being a contributing factor.

buthski

Reaction score
Sorry to jump in on this...having the same cold start rattle on mine. Is this in fact the cam phaser issue doing this? Trying to determine my next steps, but sounds like I just need to take it to the dealership. Cam phaser has never been done on mine to my knowledge. Apparently had recall 21B10 PCM reprogram for cam phaser rattle done on 6/2/22 at 59,918 miles before I purchased it. Currently have roughly 62K miles on it. New to Raptor ownership, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to jump in on this...having the same cold start rattle on mine. Is this in fact the cam phaser issue doing this? Trying to determine my next steps, but sounds like I just need to take it to the dealership. Cam phaser has never been done on mine to my knowledge. Apparently had recall 21B10 PCM reprogram for cam phaser rattle done on 6/2/22 at 59,918 miles before I purchased it. Currently have roughly 62K miles on it. New to Raptor ownership, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like someone traded this in due to the cold start rattle. The dealer did the recall like you said (program), but never checked it after. The program was only to help keep a non-rattler from rattling. Yours must have been rattling prior, and needs torn down now to fix. You are outside the return window of the truck most likely. You should still be under a portion of warranty to help pay for this, so see what they will do for you. Either way, it needs the cam phasers replaced. Many, many threads here about failed cam phasers so that you can see more about it.

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its loud, not wastegate rattle, its for sure the cam phasers. What I am wondering though, is if the time between the "CD" part and the new 21B10 PCM update (2 years) caused a failure?

it wasn't a progressive thing either - this literally just started happening in the past week. Could ambient heat be causing excessive wear on something? I didn't look at my EOT when I started the truck this morning but it is HOT here in Texas so it is not like the truck getting a major cold soak overnight.

i never had the cam 3-5sec cold start rattle either until 2 days ago. Same Texas super hot. I haven’t had the PCM update yet though. Trying to see if I will need to whipple tune again after the pcm update or not.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Truck is a 2018, and currently has 72000 miles

First replacement was Sep 2019, truck had 27,000 miles -- replaced w/ part C
Second replacement was Mar 2020, truck had 35,000 miles -- replaced w/ part CD
In March of 2022, PCM update 21B10 was done, and just this week my truck has started back up w/ the rattle.
I run Mobil 1 & current miles on this last oil change is just over 5000.

Wondering if anyone else has had to have them replaced 3 times, or after the 21B10 PCM update?

Side note I also had my transmission replaced at 54,000 miles (under warranty)

-mayo
Do you happen to have a copy of the work orders? Sometimes they do not change all of the components unless they show a sign of defect. Wonder if they did one side and then the other went out? Also wonder if the chain tensioners where replaced. Lots of factors to account for. Sucks regardless..

OP
OP
mmayo

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have them, but I believe everything was replaced, although maybe not all updated parts. I'm scheduled to drop it off next week along w/ the expedition, to get them both done...

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have them, but I believe everything was replaced, although maybe not all updated parts. I'm scheduled to drop it off next week along w/ the expedition, to get them both done...
That sucks. Hopefully it’s the last time!

Southocplumber

Reaction score
Sorry to pile a 3rd person onto someone else’s thread but I’m about to close a deal on a 2017 with 45k on it , it’s currently at ford dealership getting inspection , I will be hopefully buying a Ziegler warranty due to the fact they seem to be the best. If I get the warranty and have this same cam phaser problem would it be covered by warranty ?