Cam Phaser question - no longer covered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B00ST

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay - just had the luxury in the last month or so of my Cam Phaser starting to make the noise at start up. So took the truck in early this week for them to perform the 21B10 reflash. As I am talking to the service advisor - he informs me that this fixes it 9 out of 10 times (doubtful) - but if not, then the second step is no longer covered by Ford... And from what I am reading on these forums - based on when I had the reflash done (after Feb 2022) he is correct - no longer covered and I have to pay - Anyone else deal with this?>?? My rattle is f'in worse now that they did the reflash. Extremely disgruntled if I have to pay for a huge $$$$ for something that should have been fixed by Ford in the first place.....Thoughts?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay - just had the luxury in the last month or so of my Cam Phaser starting to make the noise at start up. So took the truck in early this week for them to perform the 21B10 reflash. As I am talking to the service advisor - he informs me that this fixes it 9 out of 10 times (doubtful) - but if not, then the second step is no longer covered by Ford... And from what I am reading on these forums - based on when I had the reflash done (after Feb 2022) he is correct - no longer covered and I have to pay - Anyone else deal with this?>?? My rattle is f'in worse now that they did the reflash. Extremely disgruntled if I have to pay for a huge $$$$ for something that should have been fixed by Ford in the first place.....Thoughts?
The recall was issued last July and clearly stated that if you have the update completed, they will extend the warranty on the cam phasers. Not only would that have prevented the additional wear and subsequent failure, but had an issue still developed, it would have been covered.

Not seeing how this is anyone’s fault but the owner, did you just buy the truck?

Jon T

Reaction score
Hi I had a flash done back December 21. Phasers were still very noisy. I had it in for a oil change this past March and informed the service advisor the phasers were still noisy. They told me they would order new parts and replace them under warranty. I had 75,000 miles on it and Ford honored the warranty.

My son has a F150 with a 3.5 same problem different dealer. 65,000 miles told he had to pay a grand for the repair. He did and drove it one day and smoked the motor. They ended up giving him a rental car and new motor.

OP
OP
B00ST

B00ST

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The recall was issued last July and clearly stated that if you have the update completed, they will extend the warranty on the cam phasers. Not only would that have prevented the additional wear and subsequent failure, but had an issue still developed, it would have been covered.

Not seeing how this is anyone’s fault but the owner, did you just buy the truck?
Appreciate the reply and agree that is could be my fault if I had the issue prior to the Feb date..... but never had an issue with the Cam Phasers until this last month...if its not broken... don't fix it. As well... never got the recall letter....Only heard about it on here - ONCE I HEARD THE NOISE.....

So now that it's my fault - any ideas on costs to fix??

OP
OP
B00ST

B00ST

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi I had a flash done back December 21. Phasers were still very noisy. I had it in for a oil change this past March and informed the service advisor the phasers were still noisy. They told me they would order new parts and replace them under warranty. I had 75,000 miles on it and Ford honored the warranty.

My son has a F150 with a 3.5 same problem different dealer. 65,000 miles told he had to pay a grand for the repair. He did and drove it one day and smoked the motor. They ended up giving him a rental car and new motor.
Yeah Jon - that makes sense as you had the flash done prior to the cut off date.

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume if you have the ESP warranty then it would be covered or am I wrong?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Appreciate the reply and agree that is could be my fault if I had the issue prior to the Feb date..... but never had an issue with the Cam Phasers until this last month...if its not broken... don't fix it. As well... never got the recall letter....Only heard about it on here - ONCE I HEARD THE NOISE.....

So now that it's my fault - any ideas on costs to fix??

That was the purpose of the recall; to prevent the issue from developing in trucks that didn’t currently exhibit the symptom. In this case it was actually fixing what’s not broken by preventing it from breaking later on. I received my letter in August, and it was in FordPass on the day it was released. Had my truck updated in October.

Regardless, do you have any extended warranty such as ESP? They should cover the repair even without the update having been done.

OP
OP
B00ST

B00ST

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no extended warranty... so its on me. Is what it is... Was planning on buying a new one until this shortage took affect.... And dealers went nuts with the over invoice BS.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was the purpose of the recall; to prevent the issue from developing in trucks that didn’t currently exhibit the symptom. In this case it was actually fixing what’s not broken by preventing it from breaking later on. I received my letter in August, and it was in FordPass on the day it was released. Had my truck updated in October.

Regardless, do you have any extended warranty such as ESP? They should cover the repair even without the update having been done.
Hey FTO I got my phasers done last year because of the rattling before the software update. When the software was released I asked the service tech about it and she said I don't need it because I just got them replaced. Now the rattling is back, would that fall on me or the dealer for a 2nd repair on the same problem?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey FTO I got my phasers done last year because of the rattling before the software update. When the software was released I asked the service tech about it and she said I don't need it because I just got them replaced. Now the rattling is back, would that fall on me or the dealer for a 2nd repair on the same problem?

All trucks in the affected population qualified under recall 21B10, so the dealer should have performed the update when you requested that they do it. Do you still have 21B10 showing up in FordPass?