Cam Phaser Observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have an interesting observation about the cam phaser issues and want to get people's thoughts on it.

I had an 18 and drove it for 19K miles and never had the issue. 100% dealer serviced with Ford parts. Idle Oil pressures were always about 26-29psi.

I have a 2019 now and for 18K miles, it was 100% dealer serviced with Ford parts. Idle oil pressures were always about 26-29psi.

At 18k, I took it to an automation Ford dealer next to me (yes, I know) and they used an auto nation filter for both air and oil despite me asking for Ford Parts. That was March 3, 2021. I don't know what oil brand they used but I assume it's not Ford's.

Since that service, I've noticed my idle oil pressures are sometimes 26-29psi and other times, they are 20-21 pst. When I shut it off when it's 20 - 21 psi. The next morning I have the cam phaser sound for the first 2 - 3 seconds. When I would shut it off when it was 26-29, it was fine the next morning.

This game was played until the beginning of April.

I had the Raptor serviced at another dealer in the valley and the idle pressures are back to 26-29 pst and I haven't had the phaser since. I never mentioned the noise to the service manager or tech. Just had them redo the service from automation.

My question is, would ****** non-ford filters / oils cause this issue with the phasers?

Thoughts? Especially interested in @FordTechOne opinion.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have an interesting observation about the cam phaser issues and want to get people's thoughts on it.

I had an 18 and drove it for 19K miles and never had the issue. 100% dealer serviced with Ford parts. Idle Oil pressures were always about 26-29psi.

I have a 2019 now and for 18K miles, it was 100% dealer serviced with Ford parts. Idle oil pressures were always about 26-29psi.

At 18k, I took it to an automation Ford dealer next to me (yes, I know) and they used an auto nation filter for both air and oil despite me asking for Ford Parts. That was March 3, 2021. I don't know what oil brand they used but I assume it's not Ford's.

Since that service, I've noticed my idle oil pressures are sometimes 26-29psi and other times, they are 20-21 pst. When I shut it off when it's 20 - 21 psi. The next morning I have the cam phaser sound for the first 2 - 3 seconds. When I would shut it off when it was 26-29, it was fine the next morning.

This game was played until the beginning of April.

I had the Raptor serviced at another dealer in the valley and the idle pressures are back to 26-29 pst and I haven't had the phaser since. I never mentioned the noise to the service manager or tech. Just had them redo the service from automation.

My question is, would ****** non-ford filters / oils cause this issue with the phasers?

Thoughts? Especially interested in @FordTechOne opinion.

The sound you were hearing is most likely attributed to the AutoNation filter lacking an oil drain back valve. Cheap aftermarket oil filters often don’t have one, or the valve they use leaks/sticks.

When the oil drains back, during the next cold start the valvetrain will exhibit a loud clatter for a few seconds before the oil pressure builds in the heads. This will not affect cam phasers, because they remain locked in place until they receive sufficient oil pressure to release the locking pin.

Personally, I’d be filing a complaint with AutoNation corporate. Not only should you expect to receive genuine OEM parts when having your vehicle serviced at the dealer, but you specifically requested them and they still installed their cheap aftermarket junk.

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The sound you were hearing is most likely attributed to the AutoNation filter lacking an oil drain back valve. Cheap aftermarket oil filters often don’t have one, or the valve they use leaks/sticks.

When the oil drains back, during the next cold start the valvetrain will exhibit a loud clatter for a few seconds before the oil pressure builds in the heads. This will not affect cam phasers, because they remain locked in place until they receive sufficient oil pressure to release the locking pin.

Personally, I’d be filing a complaint with AutoNation corporate. Not only should you expect to receive genuine OEM parts when having your vehicle serviced at the dealer, but you specifically requested them and they still installed their cheap aftermarket junk.
Thanks for this! the sound was almost exactly like the phasers so I was miffed for a bit.

Oh I complained. The SM was so worried I would give them a 1 star on the ford survey, the refunded the cost I paid to Galpin Ford for the redo. Still gave them a 1 star.