GEN 2 Cam Phaser just fixed Now This loud noise - starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recap: Cam phaser repair - completed. After I was home there was loud tapping ... Dealer blamed a bad starter - replaced starter. Picked up truck from dealer and then a loud screeching sound from the engine upon start up on a partially warm engine. Dealer diagnosed as a bad A/C compressor (clutch). 3rd party warranty would not replace the entire A/C unit... only wanted to replace clutch... so dealer got Ford Corporate to help with financial assistance and for a $1,350 repair I had to pay about $280.00 I was not cool with this but decided to pay the money and get my truck back asap.

Picked up my truck on Friday after the A/C compressor was replaced at the end of the work day. Everything seemed okay at the dealer. Driving home my truck started overheating while driving but cooled off when idling with the electric fans on full. After babying it for a while I get the Engine Coolant Over Temperature warning. I have to stop and let everything cool off. I was able to get it home after several Loooong stops. I just parked it for the night to wait for daylight to see what's up. Saturday morning I open the hood to find the hose from the coolant filling reservoir that is on the left (passenger) side down to the radiator is off. See pictures. The clamp is very forward (a long distance from the end clamping position) which to my eye looks like this was never put back on after reassembly.

I am thinking about reaching out to Ford Corporate to share my story about this dealer experience. Any thoughts on that?

Attachments

• Engin coolant over temp.jpeg
    Engin coolant over temp.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Radiator Hose off.jpeg
    Radiator Hose off.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 17

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I am thinking about reaching out to Ford Corporate to share my story about this dealer experience. Any thoughts on that?

did you not call the service dept at the first sign of trouble?

In case this was an “after work” pick up and in case anyone else is ever in this boat:

NEVER, EVER pick up your vehicle from either service or major warranty repair just before the service dept. closes.

I had a lot porter deliver my running SUV with no skid plates, and in the 3 minutes it took to come back inside, back to the service desk, everyone was gone. Literally. Yeah, I’m sure there were some service folks present, but nobody wanted to help. Next day I call in and very kindly ask if I could have my skid plates back. I get the service manager. I explain how this maintenance encounter has not met my expectations, as well as the subsequent unwillingness to make it right before I headed home.
They comped the service, got me in ASAP that morning, and did try to make amends.

I’d share this tale to the service manager first and ask why this happened. Now you have ANOTHER appointment to make and this is not on your dime.
And then, based on the results of this call, you consider Ford C/S.

The service department is supposed to repair vehicles, not break them.

OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you not call the service dept at the first sign of trouble?

In case this was an “after work” pick up and in case anyone else is ever in this boat:

NEVER, EVER pick up your vehicle from either service or major warranty repair just before the service dept. closes.

I had a lot porter deliver my running SUV with no skid plates, and in the 3 minutes it took to come back inside, back to the service desk, everyone was gone. Literally. Yeah, I’m sure there were some service folks present, but nobody wanted to help. Next day I call in and very kindly ask if I could have my skid plates back. I get the service manager. I explain how this maintenance encounter has not met my expectations, as well as the subsequent unwillingness to make it right before I headed home.
They comped the service, got me in ASAP that morning, and did try to make amends.

I’d share this tale to the service manager first and ask why this happened. Now you have ANOTHER appointment to make and this is not on your dime.
And then, based on the results of this call, you consider Ford C/S.

The service department is supposed to repair vehicles, not break them.
I agree with the concept of never picking up a vehicle at the end of the work day but sometimes that's all that will work.

The service department has texting implemented that associates my phone number to my work order. I texted about 45 minutes after picking up the truck and told the service adviser the truck had overheated and please let the service team know that I am stranded on the side of the road. Of course this was after hours so I won't get a response until monday sometime.
There is NO WAY my truck will ever go back to that service department. Ever !!!

As a follow up: I had to put 2 gallons of coolant back into the truck. I believe there is a 2.7 gallon capacity. Truck seems to be running okay. I have not pushed it yet. I just hope nothing warped or damaged with the overheated engine. That is my concern at the moment.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Usually, the truck scrams in time to prevent damage.

I know you said sometimes that’s the only thing that will work, but I’ve already learned this lesson and now you have. My point was to illustrate to others:

There is ALWAYS another option other than picking up just before service closes. They are always in a hurry just before close, you don’t want your vehicle buttoned up as the last thing they do before heading out for beers at the local bar.

Make time to prevent this from happening to you, FRF.

This almost happened to me again on the door latch freezing recall, but I remembered the ugly skid plate incident, that was another dealer but I had 2 doors that wouldn’t latch closed. Miller Time got delayed a little because I was there an hour before close. I waited and when they said it was done, I suggested we should make sure the doors all worked.

The stealership involved here should have a loaner waiting for you by no later than 10 in the morning. If they “don’t have any” they can borrow the sales manager’s demo. What was Obama was fond of saying? “Yes we can”.
And your truck should get a full shakedown, codes pulled, tech investigates them all, goes through the repair, bit by bit, fixes what he missed and tells the service advisor. Then they can have another tech review this junior screw up’s work. 2 pairs of eyes on every aspect of the failed repair. When they think it’s ok, then they can call/text you, not before.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What a bunch of goons. You need to let the service manager know what happened, not your service adviser. Tell them you want them to replace the coolant you purchased, its not likely they will pay you for it. Maybe get a couple of oil filters for your trouble as well. Don't freak out, this is normal to get a ***'D up truck from a dealer these days. I always open the hood and walk around my vehicle if I have to take it in somewhere, been burnt too many times by incompetent, useless technicians. Service is not where it was 20 years ago.

OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually, the truck scrams in time to prevent damage.

I know you said sometimes that’s the only thing that will work, but I’ve already learned this lesson and now you have. My point was to illustrate to others:

There is ALWAYS another option other than picking up just before service closes. They are always in a hurry just before close, you don’t want your vehicle buttoned up as the last thing they do before heading out for beers at the local bar.

Make time to prevent this from happening to you, FRF.

This almost happened to me again on the door latch freezing recall, but I remembered the ugly skid plate incident, that was another dealer but I had 2 doors that wouldn’t latch closed. Miller Time got delayed a little because I was there an hour before close. I waited and when they said it was done, I suggested we should make sure the doors all worked.

The stealership involved here should have a loaner waiting for you by no later than 10 in the morning. If they “don’t have any” they can borrow the sales manager’s demo. What was Obama was fond of saying? “Yes we can”.
And your truck should get a full shakedown, codes pulled, tech investigates them all, goes through the repair, bit by bit, fixes what he missed and tells the service advisor. Then they can have another tech review this junior screw up’s work. 2 pairs of eyes on every aspect of the failed repair. When they think it’s ok, then they can call/text you, not before.
Thanks !!! I am with you on this 100 %

OP
OP
R

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final report for this. Truck is doing fine. There is still the unresolved random rattle when cold but this will wait for another day. What a rollercoaster.

Thank you for letting me vent.