Cam Phaser issue after repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottegm

Reaction score
I had my 2018 in for the quick Cam Phase programming and that made it a bit worse. Ford then had me bring it back in for what I think was the big repair - 21N03? This 21N03 was completed, drove it home and all was quiet. Next day the noise (rattle / woody woodpecker noise) started up again, pretty bad....any thoughts? I did contact ford service department and left a message, so I haven't spoken to them just yet. I have to say it was really good service, I was treated well.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So they replaced the cam phasers per 21N03? In what specific way is it worse afterward?

A phaser rattle is a very distinct, loud clatter that lasts 2-5 seconds typically only on a cold start. If you’re hearing a metallic type rattle from the fender wells after a cold start that quiets down after the engine warms up, that is most likely normal wastegate rattle.

OP
OP
S

scottegm

Reaction score
So they replaced the cam phasers per 21N03? In what specific way is it worse afterward?

A phaser rattle is a very distinct, loud clatter that lasts 2-5 seconds typically only on a cold start. If you’re hearing a metallic type rattle from the fender wells after a cold start that quiets down after the engine warms up, that is most likely normal wastegate rattle.
Yes 21N03 completed. Rattles when decelerating and or breaking anywhere from say 45MPH down to 5 MPR, Pretty bad now.

Graybeard

Reaction score
That does not sound like the phasers to me.

With your description, I'd be looking at the turbos. Specifically, I'd double check the wastegate position (Forscan does this as well as a dealer tool) and see if they are within spec.