Cam Phaser Horror Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
The new hardware and software went into production 11/19; issues from then to current production 2023 models are extremely uncommon. The production and service parts are the same.

You got the new hardware but they didn’t install the new calibration. Hence the repeat issue. If they had done the recall it’s very unlikely you’d be in this situation. Make that clear to the dealer; they caused a repeat failure of the parts they installed due to their negligence.

FYI - The discrepancy in the dates for 21B10 is due to an extension in the program. It was originally supposed to expire Feb 2022 but it was extended to July 2022.
This is all great info.

The discrepancy in the dates isn’t about 21B10. It’s about 21N03.

I am of the understanding that if a customer got 21B10 done on March 1st 2022 they got zero coverage afforded to them through 21N03. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I understand the program has since expired but that could give them an excuse as to why they didn’t do it?

Since I wouldn’t have got any extended coverage in April of 22?

I am also of the understanding that the new parts came substantially before the new software of 21B10. 21B10 supplement 1 wasn’t released until March 2nd of 2021.

Almost a full year after I had my phasers “fixed” with the new hardware.

Meaning my phasers were improperly wearing for a year before the software was ever released?

And then supplement 2 and 3 just extended the dates? I’m assuming there isn’t a supplement 4?

Am I correct in thinking that the new software didn’t come out until March of 21?

Meaning when the dealership did the actual phaser repair in April of 2020 no new software existed?

Still doesn’t change my argument that it for sure existed in April of 22 as a mandatory recall that should have been done even if I didn’t get the extended benefits of 21N03

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll bet Ford Motor Company disagrees strongly with the “programming does nothing” and I agree, it’s not a big stretch that the reprogram wasn’t done and the parts failed mere months later.

I think the stealership realizes this is a boomerang repair and they are very likely to be on the hook for it and they will do anything they can to avoid eating that $5k repair bill.

Maybe this was ford's game to put the dealer on the hook.. lol

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
Sad update:

The dealership is now claiming that they did indeed do 21B10 in January of 2022 and that I am on the hook for a $5k phaser job.

Said I could replace just the vct solenoids for $870 but they recommended a full phaser job

The ford tech also said Ford has indeed changed the hardware since 2020?

Trying to decide what my options are:

Have a lawyer draft up a letter?

Trade the truck in for something else?

Pay the $5k and pray to sweet baby Jesus it all gets fixed correctly?

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sad update:

The dealership is now claiming that they did indeed do 21B10 in January of 2022 and that I am on the hook for a $5k phaser job.

Said I could replace just the vct solenoids for $870 but they recommended a full phaser job

The ford tech also said Ford has indeed changed the hardware since 2020?

Trying to decide what my options are:

Have a lawyer draft up a letter?

Trade the truck in for something else?

Pay the $5k and pray to sweet baby Jesus it all gets fixed correctly?
I would say, prove it!!
I would also tell them it should have been done when the phasers were repaired in 2020. Waiting until 22 the damage was done

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
this or the Oasis report of it
I would say, prove it!!
I would also tell them it should have been done when the phasers were repaired in 2020. Waiting until 22 the damage was done
I am of the impression the software didn’t exist in 2020. 21b10 supplement 1 didn’t release until March of 21

Also big update through corporate, they said they would cover 60% and I would only owe $1,100 for a full phaser job. I jumped at the offer and agreed.

Was that wise? Should I have done more investigating first?

Rptrrob702

Reaction score
@Webb24 I mean the discount is nice, but lets be real. No one should be dealing with this ******** cam phaser issue stemming from a bad design. Ford chose to install said part, said part has design failure causing major issues to engine over time, said part should be replaced by Ford to newly supplied part with proper design. Your truck has 70k miles on it? I mean what the ****.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
@Webb24 I mean the discount is nice, but lets be real. No one should be dealing with this ******** cam phaser issue stemming from a bad design. Ford chose to install said part, said part has design failure causing major issues to engine over time, said part should be replaced by Ford to newly supplied part with proper design. Your truck has 70k miles on it? I mean what the ****.
Yea I’m not sure how to feel about the situation at this point.

On one hand I absolutely love the truck and $1100 is very doable.

But on the other hand…pretty much everything you just said lol

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am of the impression the software didn’t exist in 2020. 21b10 supplement 1 didn’t release until March of 21

Also big update through corporate, they said they would cover 60% and I would only owe $1,100 for a full phaser job. I jumped at the offer and agreed.

Was that wise? Should I have done more investigating first?
FT1 said, The new hardware and software went into production 11/19; issues from then to current production 2023 models are extremely uncommon. The production and service parts are the same.
So the dealer did not do the complete job when they changed the phasers. Look back a few posts, you have them by the short hairs. They should have done the programming at phaser replacement. They said they did it in 22, they just imploded their own defense.