Cam Phaser Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beenjammin

Reaction score
Any update? this my 2017 is doing it now. And when I purcashed it the cam phasers were already replaced under warranty..... Nice to see there is an extemsion because Im at 75+ now. im just worried my local dealer will not have a clue abotu the updated TSB when i show up.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any update? this my 2017 is doing it now. And when I purcashed it the cam phasers were already replaced under warranty..... Nice to see there is an extemsion because Im at 75+ now. im just worried my local dealer will not have a clue abotu the updated TSB when i show up.
The first repair was properly performed before the updated parts were released. Dealers go by customer concern, not TSBs. They can’t write on the RO “customer requests XX-*** TSB be performed”. You just need to describe the issue you’re experiencing, at which point the tech will run the VIN by symptom code and the TSB will populate.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had my cp done and at the time they said there was a flash coming that was part of. They couldnt do it at the time. Is that flash ready?
I haven’t seen any announcement that it’s available; when it is out all owners should receive a letter in the mail.

dohcholiday

Reaction score
This is the TSB:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10180531-0001.pdf

However, there is an extension that will be issued in May for those that are out of warranty by time or mileage to have the repair performed free of charge with updated parts and an updated software calibration.
So, I created an account just to ask you about this. I have a '17 F150 70K miles (VIN 1FTEW1EG7HFA45722) and my local dealer just told me that there is no active "recall" help from Ford for my truck. You seem super educated with this so any thoughts or suggestions? He suggested contacting Ford and seeing if they would offer me help.

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread AGAIN but my truck sounds like it is going rattle apart for the first 5 seconds of even a semi cold start.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I created an account just to ask you about this. I have a '17 F150 70K miles (VIN 1FTEW1EG7HFA45722) and my local dealer just told me that there is no active "recall" help from Ford for my truck. You seem super educated with this so any thoughts or suggestions? He suggested contacting Ford and seeing if they would offer me help.

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread AGAIN but my truck sounds like it is going rattle apart for the first 5 seconds of even a semi cold start.
I ran your VIN; your truck currently has Field Service Action (FSA) 21B10 open, which is a reprogram of the PCM to prevent the issue from occurring. However, the FSA is on hold due to issues with the new software. Once the software issue is resolved, the dealer can perform the FSA. That will then open up FSA 21N03, which is the bulletin to have the phasers replaced with the updated parts to resolve the cold start rattle.

If you bought the truck new, I’d recommend contacting Ford customer care and see if they’ll cover the repair. If not, contact your dealer and ask them to notify you when the new software for 21B10 is available so you can move forward with the repair under the extended coverage.

dohcholiday

Reaction score
I ran your VIN; your truck currently has Field Service Action (FSA) 21B10 open, which is a reprogram of the PCM to prevent the issue from occurring. However, the FSA is on hold due to issues with the new software. Once the software issue is resolved, the dealer can perform the FSA. That will then open up FSA 21N03, which is the bulletin to have the phasers replaced with the updated parts to resolve the cold start rattle.

If you bought the truck new, I’d recommend contacting Ford customer care and see if they’ll cover the repair. If not, contact your dealer and ask them to notify you when the new software for 21B10 is available so you can move forward with the repair under the extended coverage.
Thanks for the help!

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score

What extension are we talking about?

dohcholiday

Reaction score

A follow question: From what I read online, this repair seems quite extensive. It seems that some techs have to remove the body of the truck to get access to perform the repair, and then people say their trucks are never the same. I am interested in your experience with this?