Cam Phaser Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know approximate out the door cost to fix the phasers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’re right. I don’t work in the automotive industry. Most people don’t and have to rely on the shared sources such as this. No need to be condescending to concerned and frustrated Ford customers.

Since you work in the auto industry and have credentials in the field, what’s the internal design improvement of the CD phaser that gives you such high confidence? Any Objective Quality Evidence or empirical data to support something that has only been in the field < 2 yrs?

Not trying to be condescending, but you have been suggesting theories that simply aren't true. The root cause of the concern is the intake sprocket failing to properly lock on shutdown. When checking for a failed phaser, placing a wrench on the camshaft flats will allow the camshaft to be rotated independently of the phaser, as the phaser is not locked in place. The exhaust sprocket uses a different design, which has been implemented into the intake sprocket with the latest part number revision. This is why the intake sprocket part number was superseded while the exhaust part number remained the same. So the "new" design has been in production for 4 years already, it's just being applied to the intake phaser to eliminate the failure mode that affected the C and CB level intake sprockets. The CC level was already "clean production", meaning the original issue was resolved, but the CD revision prevents the failure mode that can affect the previous design.

F350mike

Reaction score
My 2018 has been at the dealer since December 15th for this. They said it “might” be done end of this week or sometime next week.

RMB_Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s just wrong. It’s a 2 day job
It should be but if a tech does more than the minimum as I feel they need to perform other checks (they aren’t suppose to) not a chance 2 days, I’ve done more than likely most dealers

If rushed no problem but why bother find good dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Not if it's just a momentary rattle on cold start. If the phaser has failed in a different mode and there are performance issues or noises while running, then that should be addressed ASAP.

First of all , thank you for sharing your knowledge and the great detailed explanations. My 2018 3.5 has 30k miles on it and has a constant knocking in the engine heard at idle and low rpms after warm up. The dealership has diagnosed it to be a Cam Phaser issue and plans on replacing them as soon as the parts arrive however they told me it was safe to continue driving it while waiting on parts without the possibly of causing additional damage to the engine. It sounds like you don't agree with continuing to drive it without possibly causing further damage? Do you have any knowledge of what causes the constant knocking in these ? I have listened to several videos that are listed as noises caused by cam phaser failures that appear to be constant noises, not just startup noises. However my knock sounds different then most of the other after warmup cam phaser noises I've seen posted. Mine actually sounds just like this 2017 3.5 ecoboost knocking sound video:

Do you think they have diagnosed my issue correctly? Should they be replacing more than just the Cam Phasers? Other than that I haven't had any issues and my truck is still enjoyable to drive.

Thanks!

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First of all , thank you for sharing your knowledge and the great detailed explanations. My 2018 3.5 has 30k miles on it and has a constant knocking in the engine heard at idle and low rpms after warm up. The dealership has diagnosed it to be a Cam Phaser issue and plans on replacing them as soon as the parts arrive however they told me it was safe to continue driving it while waiting on parts without the possibly of causing additional damage to the engine. It sounds like you don't agree with continuing to drive it without possibly causing further damage? Do you have any knowledge of what causes the constant knocking in these ? I have listened to several videos that are listed as noises caused by cam phaser failures that appear to be constant noises, not just startup noises. However my knock sounds different then most of the other after warmup cam phaser noises I've seen posted. Mine actually sounds just like this 2017 3.5 ecoboost knocking sound video:
Do you think they have diagnosed my issue correctly? Should they be replacing more than just the Cam Phasers? Other than that I haven't had any issues and my truck is still enjoyable to drive.

Thanks!

With the noise you’re describing being unrelated to the TSB, there are a number of things that could be at fault. If the dealer has isolated it to an upper end noise caused by a faulty cam phaser, I would suspect that as root cause. If they’ve indicated that you can continue to drive it, they must have determined that the failure mode that has occurred is not detrimental to engine performance. Once they open the front cover they will be able to determine if any additional components need to be replaced, but that is not common.

Reaction score
With the noise you’re describing being unrelated to the TSB, there are a number of things that could be at fault. If the dealer has isolated it to an upper end noise caused by a faulty cam phaser, I would suspect that as root cause. If they’ve indicated that you can continue to drive it, they must have determined that the failure mode that has occurred is not detrimental to engine performance. Once they open the front cover they will be able to determine if any additional components need to be replaced, but that is not common.

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure I understand your first comment though. Why would you say my engine noise is unrelated to the TSB? Is the TSB you are referring to only for the initial startup noise where the Cam phaser locking pin isn't engaged or broken and rattles until oil pressure is received? I also have that startup rattle. So maybe my failure mode is the broken locking pin that also causes the knocking after warmup? They did indicated that there was a TSB for the Cam Phaser failure causing my engine knocking. I will update this post after my repairs and include what the dealer technician found when he opened the front cover.

Thanks Again!