Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to start a log of anyone that has had or is going through a cam phaser/engine failure issue. Looking to get build date, whether you had a tune or any engine mods, whether Ford fixed it under warranty. My thinking is that it might be useful for anyone that goes through this and faces a warranty denial to be able to fight Ford’s decision with. What do you guys think?

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt, but I don't think this is a common issue on these trucks...

OP
OP
Quaesta

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may not be common, but it will be good info for someone that might have a failure with a tune installed and Ford tries to deny the warranty claim based on the tune, rather than fix a known problem.

cdodgela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen enough complaints in the different forums / facebook to believe it's more common than those that haven't experienced it think it is. I think it's a good idea.

2018 purchased 11/2017. 20k miles, 0 mods. Cam phasers, waited one month for backordered parts. Got it back and brought back next day, high pressure fuel injector pump went bad (I think probably caused by cam phaser repair). Another backorder, total of 8 weeks. Loaner of Explorer for first month, Fusion second round. Didn't get loaner until confirmed problem and backorder, one week after bringing in. Just got her back two days ago. All under warranty, no questions. So far so good. The price some must pay for driving on the bleeding edge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Quaesta

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cdodgela I am assuming you meant 11/17 purchase date not 11/18

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My build date 4/26/17 had it repaired at 16k miles. No mods. All repaired under warranty. 7 weeks at dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6/2017 build date
22k miles
Borla exhaust only mod
2 weeks for parts and pending repairs

Cole12582

Reaction score
5/20/18
Truck had 3k miles, nasty rattle on start up
100% stock, happened after first oil change
First dealership said was within spec
Second dealership knew right away what it was.
4 weeks waiting on parts
Another 2 weeks because they scratched it and had it repainted.

Truck has a coolant smell and a consistent tick. Dealership that did repair states they pressurized the cooling system and found no leaks.DBA0A236-243E-4F85-8324-97FE02F300C2.jpeg And the tick is within spec.

At this time I’m waiting for the coolant light to come on to prove there is a leak somewhere.

WC114

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cole12582 was you're build date 5/20/18 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.