Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I heard somewhere it seemed like it was a bad batch of 2018s from the factory. But we have a few 2017s, one with a build date as early as June 2017.

My 2/14/17 build hasn't developed the problem at 22k, and most failures seem to have occurred much earlier, suggesting bad parts/improper install.

The wide range of build dates seems to rule out the bad batch idea

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I heard somewhere it seemed like it was a bad batch of 2018s from the factory. But we have a few 2017s, one with a build date as early as June 2017.

My 2/14/17 build hasn't developed the problem at 22k, and most failures seem to have occurred much earlier, suggesting bad parts/improper install.

The wide range of build dates seems to rule out the bad batch idea
Not if the vendor/supplier of the part either sourced some bad or defective material or if there have been multiple suppliers. or any number of other possibilities. No matter how good the part is, some are going to fail. a few years back, i had a brake light switch go bad on my 1990 Kawasaki ZX11. in 16 years I’d owned it, I’d never had a part fail on that bike that I didn’t cause (by tearing down, boring, stroking, wash, rinse, repeat to gain more power). On a bet... I went to my ’06 ZX14; same part. swapped it in and it worked. I checked online and that same part was in use across the model line. I still have the ZX14, with the same brake switch that I swapped into the zx11 and back, and it still works. I guess the ZX11 had a defective switch, or maybe the other one will go bad soon. if it does, I’ll pull the one from my 10R if needed :) The point is, there may be a failure pattern here but we don’t have enough relevant facts to even posit a viable theory.

Rumor mongering, lies and half truths are the contributions of the user formerly known as sasquatch77, now masquerading as kid ignoramus or whatever she’s calling herself now. we should all strive to be better FRF users than that clown.

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a rattle on startup on my '17. I bought it end of August with 7,193 miles and just a few weeks later needed a new motor. It was there for 1 month about and they found oil leaking from the block and a cracked piston. Got it back, started to rattle again. I've continued to drive it since I got it back beginning of October because I'm tired of going back and forth. In the past two days, something in the front (assuming IWE's) have been grinding and while opening the sunroof, something popped, a plastic piece broke and sunroof wouldn't close. Dropping it off next Thursday with a list of things for them to take care of, so let's see what happens.

I'm pissed, annoyed and so on, but that's a story for another day.

Happy New Year everyone

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I had a rattle on startup on my '17. I bought it end of August with 7,193 miles and just a few weeks later needed a new motor. It was there for 1 month about and they found oil leaking from the block and a cracked piston. Got it back, started to rattle again. I've continued to drive it since I got it back beginning of October because I'm tired of going back and forth. In the past two days, something in the front (assuming IWE's) have been grinding and while opening the sunroof, something popped, a plastic piece broke and sunroof wouldn't close. Dropping it off next Thursday with a list of things for them to take care of, so let's see what happens.

I'm pissed, annoyed and so on, but that's a story for another day.

Happy New Year everyone
good luck. I hope they square you away quickly and do it right the first try.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So read thru this, what's the other times this is noticed? Maybe I missed it but I thought more that once someone said it didn't just have to be on startup, yet sounds like majority it is noticed during startup.

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So read thru this, what's the other times this is noticed? Maybe I missed it but I thought more that once someone said it didn't just have to be on startup, yet sounds like majority it is noticed during startup.
I'm curious as well, it sounds to me like some or most have been noisy early on and not just suddenly started rattling at 20 thousand miles???

TrackRat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone know what this repair costs if warranty is denied. Anyone get stuck with the costs?

Reactions: Wfo

Crash45

Reaction score
My '12 eco did this. It did it one time at like 30k miles, Then again around 50K. Then from about 80-100k it started doing it once a week. Towards the end, every time I started it, it rattled and it was getting louder. The truck was perfect other than that. It was paid off, and I wanted to drive it forever. When I found out it was going to cost around $3,500 to fix it, I traded it in for Raptor. I ordered a 17 and totally got ****** around by the dealer. Ended up getting the first order from them when it opened up I believe in May of '17 for an '18. I received it August of 17. I have 25k on it right now. This morning it is a little cold, so I started the truck as I was walking up, and low and behold, the dreaded rattle... I'm pretty pissed that 6 model years later, I am dealt the same fate. This is crap...

No motor mods or tunes other than a pedal commander...

Status
Not open for further replies.