Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not necessarily, and in this case most likely not. We are seeing the part failures early, and many repeat offenders. This indicates something else in the engine is causing the issue. While the phasers are the failure point, lack of oil flow to the phasers is the driving mechanism. Revisions of the phaser can make it more robust (ie operate with less oil, greater range of adjustment, etc), but if the problem exists elsewhere, it will fail again.

I've seen over 10 trucks with cam phaser replacements develop the problem again shortly after the fix. This indicates the problem is not with the component itself, but elsewhere. It makes complete sense to me that it would be a failing solenoid.

FWIW, I still calculated less than 1% of all Gen 2 Raptors have seen this problem. My dealer (which sells probably 20 Raptors a year) has only had a handful of regular F150s in for the fix, and no Raptors.

Exactly. Regardless of whether engineering determines that the issue is with the design or a manufacturing issue, a new service part number will still be released. This is the indicator to whether a suspect part or "clean" part has been obtained.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the noise every now and then - that's all it is at this point though. I'm gonna wait and see if a TSB comes out for it... with a revised part perhaps.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the noise every now and then - that's all it is at this point though. I'm gonna wait and see if a TSB comes out for it... with a revised part perhaps.

I posted on the poll thread, mine started making the same noise today when I started the truck a couple of times. It doesn't do it every time or even when it is a cold start. Very odd, oil levels are all fine and everything is clean. I plan on changing my oil next week to see if there is any changes.

I have come to the decision that I am just going to RTD mine, then swap the entire power plant over to a V8 and be done with it. Just turned 33k miles if anyone is curious. I don't have a warranty on mine so any fix is on me, would rather replace the entire engine instead of chasing an issue later on.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I posted on the poll thread, mine started making the same noise today when I started the truck a couple of times. It doesn't do it every time or even when it is a cold start. Very odd, oil levels are all fine and everything is clean. I plan on changing my oil next week to see if there is any changes.

I have come to the decision that I am just going to RTD mine, then swap the entire power plant over to a V8 and be done with it. Just turned 33k miles if anyone is curious. I don't have a warranty on mine so any fix is on me, would rather replace the entire engine instead of chasing an issue later on.
Do you plan on the drive modes still working? What motor are you planning? I haven’t been impressed with the 5.0.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To be honest, once I tuned my current motor I haven't used the drive modes. As long as I have the paddles available I have been fine. Not sure which motor yet, just started going down this road last week when my engine started making the noise. If I do go with the 5.0 it would be super charged, still not sure if that is what I would be going with at the moment.

Polecat743

Reaction score
I see a lot of posts where people have said they are taking their trucks in..... however I'm not seeing very many telling us the results. I have had my truck in twice. First time the tensioners were replaced and cam phasers. Next I had the VCT solenoids replaced. Truck still makes the same noises. I still believe there is not a fix from what I can tell. I've been told to bring it back in but am reluctant to do this if there isn't a fix. The oil pan leak only took 4 tries to get right......

I'd like to know if anyone has every gotten the work done and it has actually fixed their truck and how many trucks have actually had catastrophic failures

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of posts where people have said they are taking their trucks in..... however I'm not seeing very many telling us the results. I have had my truck in twice. First time the tensioners were replaced and cam phasers. Next I had the VCT solenoids replaced. Truck still makes the same noises. I still believe there is not a fix from what I can tell. I've been told to bring it back in but am reluctant to do this if there isn't a fix. The oil pan leak only took 4 tries to get right......

I'd like to know if anyone has every gotten the work done and it has actually fixed their truck and how many trucks have actually had catastrophic failures

well....mine is not making the noise at startup like it was but i only have ~200 miles on since having the cam phasers replaced under SSN #48168

Have you compared what you had done to SSN #48168? I'm wondering if there are now updated parts and/or updated PCM tuning

moonjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My update truck was in shop for 2 weeks plus, they replaced chain tensioner because it was broken or cracked in half, then drove it 80 miles turned off would not start. Back to shop this time bank A cam gear cracked and wedge piece broken out of it. Replace and now its like when i first got the truck quite on start up and old power back. By the way they didn't eve worry about the tune on it! Never asked a thing except how fast is it.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting...

I will see if I can get mine in the shop and see what the heck could be wrong with it. But tonight I'm going to check oil levels and air filter.

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those taking their trucks in for the cam phaser issue, the SSN calls for a PCM update. I’d recommend tuning to stock prior and then having your tunes rewritten. This said, I’m hoping 1) the cam phaser issue is resolved with this procedure, and 2) the tuners (MPT in my case) will use my updated file to write my new tunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.