Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ive seen a lot of videos of cam phaser repair nobody removes cab so not sure why they would do this? they don't even remove rad or intercooler for the repair. its all right there in front?

So much easier to work on the engine with the cab off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waiting on parts to get mine in, they said they will only replace phaser. Does this issue have anything to do with a pinging like sound at hard accelaration between 3k and 4k rpm

Yes. Could be actual pinging from too much dynamic compression. My truck did this above 6,000 WOT 2-3 shift every time plus limp mode. Codes were general and specific misfires. After the phaser repair the problem went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20,000 first set phasers- rattle + limp mode at WOT
27,000 phaser solenoids for a slight decel rattle
33,000 phasers noisy again on startup, no WOT CEL yet.

cwh

Reaction score
Update on cam phaser TSB. Ford just released last week the issue lies with the solenoids. They have updated solenoids now. So all 4 phasers, chain tensioners, chain and solenoids get replaced with updated solenoids. My truck was the 1st one in my area to get them. No issues.

cwh

Reaction score
Nope - nothing has helped. It is a parts issue and the latest revision parts don't seem to be working either. It looks like it is cheaper for Ford to warranty these once or twice in the traditional warranty period, and then they make $4k on you each time after.
See my post. Ford finally found the issue. All 2019 and some 20’s will have cam phaser issue. They have updated the solenoids as the old once were not actuating properly. My dealership said ford just released this as the cause. My truck was in for phaser replacements when this update was released. I now have updated solenoids and no issues. Dealer said all the cam phaser replacements they did, those people eventually will have to come back to get solenoids updated.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My dealership said ford just released this as the cause

It could be a cause, or it could be a contributor, but people here have reported the phaser actually lunched; that is, you could essentially free spin one of the shafts. That’s bad btw.

I do think that the solenoids are probably the biggest contributor to the ubiquitous ‘start up rattle’ issue but there have been a few other failures from hard parts. I think it’s possible that a solenoid failure or a “lazy” solenoid could have you starting up with some relatively bad timing for the instant after startup but if it’s transient, how much damage is that actually causing, if any?

When you look at the symptom pattern from @OPT PRIME, the rattle present at any condition other than idle is problematic and necessarily has to be putting more strain on the components - hence not all repairs are implicating the timing chain and guides. Only the repairs where evidence of need is there.

so - is there actually a TSB and revised solenoid part #?

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on cam phaser TSB. Ford just released last week the issue lies with the solenoids. They have updated solenoids now. So all 4 phasers, chain tensioners, chain and solenoids get replaced with updated solenoids. My truck was the 1st one in my area to get them. No issues.

"Just released" when? My phasers (only) were replaced last week under SSN #48168

ittybittyfds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "Cam Phaser" - VCT TSB is expected to be published 4th quarter of 2019 per the FORD SSM 48168 (SSM = Special Service Message)

per the SSM, Some 2017-2018 F150 vehicles built on or before 10-Jul-2018 and 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator vehicles built on or before 8-April-2019 equipped with the 3.5L

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See my post. Ford finally found the issue. All 2019 and some 20’s will have cam phaser issue. They have updated the solenoids as the old once were not actuating properly. My dealership said ford just released this as the cause. My truck was in for phaser replacements when this update was released. I now have updated solenoids and no issues. Dealer said all the cam phaser replacements they did, those people eventually will have to come back to get solenoids updated.

A bad solenoid makes the following rattle under lift throttle following a small blip.

Status
Not open for further replies.