Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck: early MY18 build with 29K miles.

Noticed “the rattle” a couple months ago after I’d been away for a week for work and the truck sat for the entire time I was away, but didn’t hear it again until last week. Come to find out my wife has been hearing it pretty regularly for a few weeks now when she pops out to the garage to start the truck as I’m getting dressed for work.

This week it also made the rattle twice when I started it in the early evening/late afternoon to come home from work. Have never noticed it when driving around on the weekends or if I’m running errands in the middle of the day.

So it happens only on cold starts for me, and my perception is that the rattle is louder the longer the truck has been sitting.

This may be a coincidence or even incorrect input since my sample size of observations is too small, but it “seems” like parking on a slight slope with the nose of the engine elevated exacerbates the rattle, and parking with the nose slightly declined ameliorates the rattle. No need to bring that data point into the discussion...just an observation.

Regardless, it’s happening pretty much every morning now so I’m dropping it off at the dealer later today. They’ll look at it Monday or Tuesday.

More to follow.

jgree32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck: early MY18 build with 29K miles.

Noticed “the rattle” a couple months ago after I’d been away for a week for work and the truck sat for the entire time I was away, but didn’t hear it again until last week. Come to find out my wife has been hearing it pretty regularly for a few weeks now when she pops out to the garage to start the truck as I’m getting dressed for work.

This week it also made the rattle twice when I started it in the early evening/late afternoon to come home from work. Have never noticed it when driving around on the weekends or if I’m running errands in the middle of the day.

So it happens only on cold starts for me, and my perception is that the rattle is louder the longer the truck has been sitting.

This may be a coincidence or even incorrect input since my sample size of observations is too small, but it “seems” like parking on a slight slope with the nose of the engine elevated exacerbates the rattle, and parking with the nose slightly declined ameliorates the rattle. No need to bring that data point into the discussion...just an observation.

Regardless, it’s happening pretty much every morning now so I’m dropping it off at the dealer later today. They’ll look at it Monday or Tuesday.

More to follow.
Exactly what happened to me. I finally heard it one morning then my wife says "oh it's been doing that for a month" lol

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, cam phasers; replacing all four plus timing chains under warranty. Parts ordered and they say it’s ok to drive my truck until next week when the parts come in.

Estimated 3 days to do the repair and I’ll get a rental...asked for a Ranger Raptor with the turbo diesel to see how well it fits in the garage. They said they’d see what they can do! ;)

TigerRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was finally diagnosed with bad Cam Phasers. It took the Engine Tech 30 seconds to diagnose it. He said he has changed a bunch of phasers due to a faulty pin that holds the phaser in place until oil pressure builds up on the spring. Failed pin equals rattle on startup. He said he has not seen any that lead to adverse performance. I have to agree as my truck runs great and has rattled now for 26k miles. Went to the TRR and drove the hell out of it. No issues. 676 miles there and back as well.

Now the saga begins on replacement. The Dealership indicated that the truck has to be torn down to order parts to confirm the problem. I called BS on this but they swore it was the case. How are you guys getting parts ordered before tear down? I do not want my truck sitting for months on backordered parts.

jgree32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine back today. Less than a week from when I dropped it off.
$3800 charged to warranty.
There were a couple of things not related to cam phasers though in that.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was finally diagnosed with bad Cam Phasers. It took the Engine Tech 30 seconds to diagnose it. He said he has changed a bunch of phasers due to a faulty pin that holds the phaser in place until oil pressure builds up on the spring. Failed pin equals rattle on startup. He said he has not seen any that lead to adverse performance. I have to agree as my truck runs great and has rattled now for 26k miles. Went to the TRR and drove the hell out of it. No issues. 676 miles there and back as well.

Now the saga begins on replacement. The Dealership indicated that the truck has to be torn down to order parts to confirm the problem. I called BS on this but they swore it was the case. How are you guys getting parts ordered before tear down? I do not want my truck sitting for months on backordered parts.

Yup, ordered parts without the tear down for me...Apparently 5 other EB 3.5 s in line ahead of me for the same fix. Bluebonnet in New Braunfels is closer to where I live, but having the work done by Jordan Ford in San Antonio.

Sorry I missed this year’s TRR...especially since the guy who runs it is from my town!

signalbobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Message to SL75!! I told you before that your reasoning and how you approach individual issues is lacking any factual reasoning or even proven statistical measurements or facts!! In 2017 the production numbers were somewhere close to 20,000 or 25,000 units... if you keep count of the reported issues I can bet you that I have not seen not even 100!! And probably a lot less!! Do the math genius and when you get some real statistics then report back to the group and earn some respect!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet you the number is in the thousands.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am starting to wonder about the issue actually being a cam phaser issue and not a lubrication issue. If you all recall back in 2018 a lot of people were having issues or reporting issues with Waste Gate rattle. Most were just issues with the linkage. My concern is why are the cam phasers failing, lubrication issues possibly? I know on my engine there is a rattle when warming up due to my waste gates cycling then goes away when at temp and everything closes off. After the recent retune and changes to my program it seems like it has become less.

My concern or question would be is there some sort of restriction in the stock lubrication system that is causing this. When my engine was tuned/ built there were a lot of changes made to the lubrication system. I am starting to wonder if some of the failures that have been reported may be due to a restriction in the lubrication system. Just a thought, curious to know everyone else's thoughts on it.

signalbobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone with a tune had a problem having their cam phasers replaced under warranty?
Curious as well. I just ordered the cobb tune. Cam phasers are completely different problem than what a tune would do. @RMB_Ryan has put quite a bit in here about it about what the problem is. Ford has identified the issue that they have updated the design on it with the "CC" end code.

Status
Not open for further replies.