Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys...... there is a pattern of failure here. One member said his dealer had 10 trucks in for phasers. Of course I don't have access to the numbers. The fact that ford has revised this part (what appears multiple times) should tell you something. Does it mean every truck will have issues.... No. Should you keep an eye out for it...... most definitely.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Guys...... there is a pattern of failure here. One member said his dealer had 10 trucks in for phasers. Of course I don't have access to the numbers. The fact that ford has revised this part (what appears multiple times) should tell you something. Does it mean every truck will have issues.... No. Should you keep an eye out for it...... most definitely.

Yeah but it’s also being blown way out of proportion. both Autonations close to Squatch’s new id, SL75 “location” of Toledo, report nothing like she’s saying here. A few is what I heard. A dozen? out of how many sold ? what if it’s 3 dozen?

So what exactly is the pattern?

Revised part seems like they’re reacting to something for sure, but it certainly isn’t an epidemic.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
People were saying the same thing about the Headgaskets on the RS and look how that turned out.
PS I'm not taking anything SL75 post as facts/truth.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is my 2 cents on this topic for what it's worth. If the issue was so wide spread and causing Ford to loose business and having to buy back a significant volume of vehicles for the problem, they would have issued a recall and fixed the issue. Since the we only hear about the ones with issues here it seems significant due to the number of post on the subject. If you consider the total volume of Raptor sales it is a very small amount with the issue, as many of people here have pointed out in pervious post. Just like @FullAuto mentioned, does every truck have the issue, NO. Should everyone take precaution and keep an eye out yes. Seems like common sense to me.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will say.... once a poll was posted on the RS board was when members started to take notice that it was a larger issue than a few cars. I should probably start one on here.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
People were saying the same thing about the Headgaskets on the RS and look how that turned out.
PS I'm not taking anything SL75 post as facts/truth.

Of course, you can’t believe anything sl75 - aka sasquatch77 says or types, but you said it yourself; there’s at least a new part number. Either it’s as simple as sourced from a new vendor or there’s an actual revision engineered differently. That’s not always a positive thing, it could be they source something cheaper or, they could re-spec a part and get it for future runs.

It’s exceedingly unlikely to get a recall or even a special service but it’s not unheard of.
Let’s play what if here.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/1999-2000-2001-2002-2003-2004-ford-mustang4.htm

almost 20 years ago, but illustrates that Ford is not immune to screw ups. Of course, that wasn’t anywhere near as expensive a proposition as what is rumored here. The cost and labor for a cam phaser repair is significant. Again, to @Bhollier’s point, if it is really that bad, there will be a TSB issued at a minimum. Also, if there were so many victims, why haven’t all of them banded together and sued?

if there really is 10 F150s at each sampled dealer doing cam phaser repairs, it would be national news, and Ford, Dodge, Toy, & Nissan would be taking over the market place.

I hope those that have had the failure, don’t have it again and those who have not, never have it.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First, at this time my truck is fine (only 6,000 miles). Second, you can take this with a grain on salt (or a quart), but a Ford mechanic said that the failures he has seen are driven by people that mostly gun the engine as soon as they get in (cold engine) and run close to red line a lot.

Before I get yelled at by people who do not do this, and they had failures, I do believe there is a problem with the design. It may just make it show up faster by doing the above, but even if you don't it MAY still show up. I agree with @smurfslayer that the over all percentage is pretty low, but Ford is obviously trying to fix it by redesigning the part. The sky is not falling Chicken Little, and life will go on.

Crash45

Reaction score
This cam issue is the only reason I am a member here. I came specifically for that reason...

As I stated awhile back, my 2012 eco had it and bad. It was out of warranty and the cost to fix it was going to be $3500-$4000. It needed brakes and some other things, so I just traded it in on a Raptor. I did get the extended warranty bc of this. I posted the video of my Raptor making the noise on this tread. I’m pissed. I don’t care if 10 people have this issue or 10,000. I have had it twice in two trucks and that is total BS...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.