Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMB_Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did notice yesterday that it was idling kinda ruff. I had a pretty bad miss fire awhile back and it went into limp mode when I hammered it in sport mode going about 75mph. My wife’s land rover has been at the dealer since Christmas Eve, and I don’t want to go thru that, so I’ve been holding off until it is undeniably making the noise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That noise you hear that is ticking at cold start is likely the lifters not the cams directly. Can be common but not good, however if you hear it from one bank to another their is something worth opening it up and having a look to find what it is.

The oem filters as well as most quality non oem oil filters like Amsoil, etc, use an anti drain-back and identical bypass spring pressure to be able to meet the oem spec. It is the cheap version of certain oil filter brands that will be the issue 99.9% of the time.

The cam phaser issue is a multi part problem.

1- new phasers have just been updated and released and they I believe are now engineering mark CC at the end. First was CA and then CB, now ends in CC. Apparently they did something to a sticking locking pin and springs. (Ford maybe even updated blinker fluid to help who knows.) [emoji849]

It is our experience that we can help the issues with cam timing issues such as phasers, I take cams rolling aft to positive degrees and with a few other things.

1- a cam grind focusing more on changing duration, and adding a little lift will help a lot due to how these cams are often in an “at rest” position. With zero load on any lobe causing the cam which is at rest at the moment to be lose and actually move it by fingers back and forth These Gen2’s this is heavily pronounced over gen1.

With a DOHC 60 deg v6 cam timing, chain, phaser issues and erratic cam events are very common across all platforms. Because each cam has a neutral or no load position during each of its one revolutions, (x4 cams) it has been known to cause erratic timing events which can and will increase wear on parts such as phasers , possible broken tensioners and guides.

This is something that had been an issue on platforms since variable cam timing was introduced in a 60 degree v block v6 With DOHC. If you added say two cylinders and had a V8 the extra 2 lobes per cam, per bank, would lesson the amount any cam is at rest because your keeping load on the cam from adding another set of lobes that will be loading a lifter and limiting the at rest position by a good amount to make a difference.

One solution would be to delete VCT? In my opinion, in a truck, you lose everything that makes these what they are and a ton if not all the HP TQ in the low end is then lost. That would suck, not fun and the ecoboost kicks a$$ because of the fun from the amount of insta-torque and low end power it can generate. You’d have to keep it wound tight at higher rpm to feel the same and raise rev limiter IMO to 8500rpm.

In lieu of deleting, I’d prefer to limit VCT movement. I would do this with the addition of a simple regrind of the oem cams and add like 20 deg duration on exhaust cams and 5-10 on intake cams roughly. Not only will you have something to make more power now, but you are helping the issues with the erratic timing and killing two birds with one stone. Plus the wife would understand easier that your fixing the issue, not buying cams.
[emoji2936][emoji3061]. Yeah, my wife, she knows my playbook by now. lol

With the cams ground, my suggestion would be to pin or limit the 4 cam phasers accordingly based on the amount you changed duration. So basically if you add 20 degrees you pin or limit 15-20 degrees of the cam movement.
Generally we will limit cam phasers by the amount of duration we add and when we start really adding lift and or real duration we have to limit VCT usually deleting it. Too much stress on phasers is bad.

With the ecoboost (gen1 and Gen2) the intake cams have a whopping 60 degrees of variable cam movement already. We for sure consider that as much as we would like to see and 60 degrees of movement is probably already causing added wear on the phasers which is seen by the mileage many are having issues at. Now throw into the mix their is an added erratic cam that’s yanked from being smacked every one of its revolutions for a millisecond and timing events are thrown off and from the rather long and frequent amount of time the cams have no load on them. This is and will exacerbate and increase wear on phasers and all parts.

Particularly with the worlds absolute worst timing chain tensioners that have almost zero consistency and I think ford is whacked for even using them or thinking of it. Use the GT500 style tensioners and be done! Wish they fit

By grinding the cams and changing the duration, you are now changing how large and where base circle and center lines are. This can greatly change how often and how long each cam is not loaded and therefore limit the window for erratic behavior by cutting down how often these cams have no load on them and literally are lose in that position and this all cuts that amount down by a fair margin. Tons of issues which cause V6 DOHC’s problems with timing, and I could show you if you and you’d hear the popping noise when we see a cam get to its neutral position. and you can hear when each cams at rest if you were next to me in the shop and they make little popping noises when the lifter on a bank sees no preload on them. By limiting the movement of the cam phasers you are putting less stress on them, and by helping limit
(as much as possible) the amount that these irregular and wearing events happen will prolong life of the timing chain drive assembly.

By limiting 10-20 of the degrees of movement will go a long way with adding to the longevity and preventable accelerated wear on the parts within the components. Gen1 cams due to valve train type and lobe design are naturally at rest less often than Gen2 roller rocker style lobes and lifters.

Next issue, the tensioners. More on this later, but tensioners must be upgraded from the crap that’s in these now. We will be working on a full timing kit with all parts that are not only stronger and last longer, but allow options as to what you do with VCT or how much it is able to move.
Quick look inside phasers. These are the smallest phasers two major manufacturers we have been working with for 2-3 years on the Gen2’s and they both first said they were shocked at the small size off these phasers and probably the smallest phaser they had ever seen across any platform.
IMG_2186.jpgae18e6d8761ab00365dbf6e43f768b09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RMB_Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what the poster here found as they were designing a fix. We are due a report back anytime now on testing progress. It is a shame that this phaser issue exists on the 3.5 ecoboost. The engine would be fine if this issue had been addressed by Ford engineering.
They are not clogging up with what we found to be massive casting flash which came off the castings when engines heat cycled and flash would pop off over first 1-2509 or even 5-10,000 miles

These phasers in photo have 60k on them, no issues motor craft oil changes to semi syn oil at 5,000 miles minimum and no issues with oldest style phaser engineering numbers.

1- HUGE thing!! The tensioners suck in the worst way. We are going to be offering billet tensioners that are valved with proper tension, and are also oring sealed to block on back of tensioners and have hardened teeth if we decide that a ratcheting style is a benefit combined with our plan to valve them to allow constant and repeatable tension.

Further improving on the guides and timing chain arms is being engineered now to prevent breaking of guides and arms at the m6 bolted fasters we see break often!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk37af1fba2ce9975660c2dd912d0ffeca.jpg

WC114

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you give a ballpark guess to upgrade cost

RMB_Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you give a ballpark guess to upgrade cost

Timing kit would almost certainly NOT be inclusive of a cam grind. We would if I had to guess now, offer the cams separate and perhaps have a
“RMB-G1-CAMSPEC-T-GRIND which will really be designed around addressing the issues with camshafts and them being in such positions a finger or two can wiggle or even twist slightly.

Usually I would say something like this is broken down as such depending on the final machine time, labor and materials etc.

Tensioners 199-399
2 guides and 2 arms $375-$695
Two stronger timing chains with higher loads and stronger chain spec’d by a 25% maybe margin
Cam phaser limiters or cam phaser adjuster gear set. This can be a 100 dollar thing or can be 499-700 depends on how the best way and what market is demanding. I’d like adjustability if I’m honest so lock em where you want em or lock where you decide to set the low or high limit etc.

I’d bet with oem parts included, hardware, instructions, and support. All assuming that the product first works as designed without question and it was the same quality that’s expected of us, your in this about 1300-2000 with vct somenoids and maybe a gasket kit or some add on items like crank gear and a cam set with springs or whatever

Worth every cent if you’d ever driven a well spec’d can’t engine in a cam timing limited vehicle done properly. Almost lose nothing and gain 1000-2000rpm with bigger power for say large turbos

Worth the cost and time, worst case limit vct cams go in ground and we do cams 1295 plus shipping custom grind

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 - Build date 3/23/17!! 802a - currently at 45,500 miles.. Followed break-in as per owner’s manual.. Service and maintenance as per manual, however oil changes at intervals of 5k miles with full synthetic motorcraft oil and filter as per manual. Only service issues under warranty were: oil pan at 7.5k miles, front passenger half-shaft with leaky seal at 20k miles, and check valve replacement at 22k miles... that is it!! Knock on wood for now!!

Only mods are Borla S-Type, graphics, GoRhino 2.0 roll bar and a Rigid Adapt 40” light bar!

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This is exactly what the poster here found as they were designing a fix. We are due a report back anytime now on testing progress. It is a shame that this phaser issue exists on the 3.5 ecoboost. The engine would be fine if this issue had been addressed by Ford engineering.

it’s a shame you exist and continue to troll here, blowing all Raptor problems way out of proportion; and you don’t even own one.

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Message to SL75!! I told you before that your reasoning and how you approach individual issues is lacking any factual reasoning or even proven statistical measurements or facts!! In 2017 the production numbers were somewhere close to 20,000 or 25,000 units... if you keep count of the reported issues I can bet you that I have not seen not even 100!! And probably a lot less!! Do the math genius and when you get some real statistics then report back to the group and earn some respect!!

Status
Not open for further replies.