Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

copb8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cam phasers were replaced under warranty and got the truck back last week. Runs as new now and I'm starting to fall back in love.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CamPhaser

Reaction score
First post. Thought I'd leave it here since this thread helped diagnose my issue. Disclaimer, I'm not very mechanically inclined so most of this is regurgitation from the Ford technician or service manager.

2018 Raptor SuperCrew - Stock motor no tunes etc. 18k miles

1. I was getting the rattle at cold start. The rattle lasted a few seconds then went away.

2. On a 100 mile drive the check engine light came on. I pulled over 3-4 times due to a strange grinding sound that would come and go from the front driver's side as far as I could tell but I didn't notice anything obvious. I took it in to the dealer. They had it for 4 days troubleshooting. Eventually they replace a solenoid (controlled oil flow?). That fixed the issue for about a month.

3. Then the check engine light came back but no noticeable rattle or grinding this time. Dealer pulled codes and it was related to an engine timing issue. I explained my concern after reading this thread but it was dismissed since the light went off by the time they were able to schedule me....Diagnostics didn't warrant pulling the engine cover.

4. Check engine came on a 3rd time.

It's at the dealer for the 3rd time in 3 months. I asked them to check the following based on some "research" here:

• VCT Cam Phaser
  • Engine Timing Chain cover/ tension
  • PCM/TCM software updates

They have determined that the VCT Phaser has failed. They're pulling the valve cover tomorrow to check the screens for debris.

Work Order from the initial issue. Parts # for solenoid referenced in #2 above. https://imgur.com/svS0eC0

Last edited:

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First post. Thought I'd leave it here since this thread helped diagnose my issue. Disclaimer, I'm not very mechanically inclined so most of this is regurgitation from the Ford technician or service manager.

2018 Raptor SuperCrew - Stock motor no tunes etc. 18k miles

1. I was getting the rattle at cold start. The rattle lasted a few seconds then went away.

2. On a 100 mile drive the check engine light came on. I pulled over 3-4 times due to a strange grinding sound that would come and go from the front driver's side as far as I could tell but I didn't notice anything obvious. I took it in to the dealer. They had it for 4 days troubleshooting. Eventually they replace a solenoid (controlled oil flow?). That fixed the issue for about a month.

3. Then the check engine light came back but no noticeable rattle or grinding this time. Dealer pulled codes and it was related to an engine timing issue. I explained my concern after reading this thread but it was dismissed since the light went off by the time they were able to schedule me....Diagnostics didn't warrant pulling the engine cover.

4. Check engine came on a 3rd time.

It's at the dealer for the 3rd time in 3 months. I asked them to check the following based on some "research" here:

• VCT Cam Phaser
  • Engine Timing Chain cover/ tension
  • PCM/TCM software updates

They have determined that the VCT Phaser has failed. They're pulling the valve cover tomorrow to check the screens for debris.
I'm curious if you know the build date of your truck? Just wondering if it's the late 17 to early 18 that seems to be the most common for this issue?

CamPhaser

Reaction score
I'm curious if you know the build date of your truck? Just wondering if it's the late 17 to early 18 that seems to be the most common for this issue?

Is there a VIN # lookup tool for this to pinpoint build dates?

I went back and found my order date mid November 2017 and took delivery mid March 2018. So build date within that window.

To help the cause here should I be requesting replacement part #s or will they show on the work order?

Really happy I bought the extended 100k mi warranty but still a major letdown and inconvenience.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My dealer service department said it was not specific to date, or vin range.

Avmanager

Reaction score
I had mine fixed last week and my 2017 had a build date of late June 2017. So I am guessing near the end of the 2017 run

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Said a dealer service department, never. What a *******. lol

My dealer has been doing 2018 F150 phasers as well. The issue is specific to the Gen 2 engine. Engines that tend to sit more than a few days per week vs driven daily are the common offender. My dealer has worked plenty of 2018s as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.