Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReRun

Reaction score
Ok... so I read through all 123 pages of this thread.

I’m still not clear on whether or not the new part ending in “cd” is a definitive fix for the issue or if those with that replacement part have had a recurrence.

I just bought a 2018 and it has this noise at start up though not nearly as bad as some vids I’ve seen.

I’m fine to leave it like this for a while until there is a real fix of the current one is still hit or miss especially since it doesn’t sound like there are any real adverse effects other than the cold start noise.

Can someone clarify if the “cd” part is good to go?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I’m still not clear on whether or not the new part ending in “cd” is a definitive fix for the issue or if those with that replacement part have had a recurrence.

I just bought a 2018 and it has this noise at start up though not nearly as bad as some vids I’ve seen.

I’m fine to leave it like this for a while until there is a real fix of the current one is still hit or miss especially since it doesn’t sound like there are any real adverse effects other than the cold start noise.

By now you should be receiving the CD part, unless of course an even newer part is rolled out, but I haven't heard of that yet.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

This has been gone over many times in this thread.

The cam phasers were redesigned and to address an issue in which the cam phaser locking pin doesn't properly engage after engine shutdown, resulting in a noise on cold start. That noise concern is the topic of this thread.

The redesigned cam phasers have a part number suffix of CD and the change was accompanied by a PCM calibration update as well. The posts by RMB_Ryan show the physical part differences.

Mstgkillr

Reaction score
I’ve torn down engines with newer build dates than that with old phasers pulled out of them. Do you mean 2019?

Do you recall the most recent build date of an engine with the old phasers?

Here is the SSM from Ford, per this communication, production was clean for F-150 on 7-10-18 and Expedition/Navigator on 4-8-19. Is it possible the engines your getting are out of an Exped/Navi?

48445 - 2017-2018 F-150, 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator - 3.5L EcoBoost - Ticking/Tappin
Some 2017-2018 F-150 vehicles built on or before 10-Jul-2018 and 2018-2019 Exped ition/Navigator vehicles built on or before 8-Apr-2019 with 3.5L EcoBoost may ex hibit tick, tap, or rattle type noises from top of engine front cover for 2-5 se conds after a cold start. Replace all 4 VCT units (6256/6C525) and update the PC M calibration. Do not replace other camshaft timing related components unless in spection identifies a concern. Refer to the Workshop Manual, Section 303-01. Cla im labor to replace VCTs using published labor operations and PCM programming us ing M-time. Dealers should order parts only when required to complete a repair. Once the parts are ordered, the vehicle may be returned to the customer to drive . This condition does not affect long term durability or performance.

I've "heard" that some 2019 Raptors are still having cam phaser issues. Does anyone know if the build dates were after 10-Jul-2018? I would love to hear some type of confirmation that this issue can finally be put to rest!

321raptor

Reaction score
Picked mine up from repair earlier today...stopped on the way home for lunch, got back in and CEL pops on...throwing P0113 and U0401..seems it could be an issue with the air temp sensor and my S&B intake?

Trying not to blow my own gasket right now lol...but for those wondering about parts list for the cam phaser repair, here’s my invoice..
B5E7F5FD-487D-4698-827C-724C5527CD6E.jpeg

SmokieRiver

Reaction score
Do you recall the most recent build date of an engine with the old phasers?

I've "heard" that some 2019 Raptors are still having cam phaser issues. Does anyone know if the build dates were after 10-Jul-2018? I would love to hear some type of confirmation that this issue can finally be put to rest!

I have a mid June 2019 build and have cam phaser issues (noise).

Status
Not open for further replies.