Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI you can drive the truck until the parts come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know that, thanks...didn't mean to imply that. I'm picking it up tomorrow. The "nuts" was in reference to the fact that this problem has been going on for a long period of time and still there appears to be a parts shortage to address it. Is there one guy with a press somewhere who missed the industrial revolution?

Joefadams

Reaction score
So latest update for the guys who pointed out my issues were not cam phasers you were somewhat correct. 10 days in shop so far at dealer. Have ordered and received approval to replace cam phasers, cylinder heads, and camshaft (which is back ordered and should take a week or two). After this they “hope” she will be good as new ‍♂️

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I`m new to Raptors but I`ve had my share of new Jeep problems. One of the scariest was bad welds on the front track bar. The tech would take a cell phone picture and send it in to determine if it was good or bad, just not right in my opinion

Being the owner of 18 Screw that has only 1950 miles on since i bought it new. I`m really worried about the cam phasers going bad, but then I think how many Raptors did they make and how many have gone bad? A lot of people don`t go on the forums they just go back to the dealer, and it seems like the true truck owners are on the forums.
I was watching Powernation TV and they were building a Coyote and a Hemi, I wasn`t paying attention but one had mention cam phaser lock out brackets.
I went on fords performance sight and found updated cam phasers for a Coyote motor and it states that they have less oil leak down then stock, is that the main reason for failure? low oil pressure at start up? Gear Heads recommend that I keep the pedal to the floor and crank it over a few times, because being at WOT it will not start. Then I just completely lift off and it starts right up. Would it be worth putting in a pre oiler system similar to what I had in my boat? Thanks in advance, this was the reason nothing was done to the truck, that`s the last thing I want to hear is it`s not covered under warranty because you did this....
This is from Fords catalog, they don`t have any listed for the 3.5. Thanks in advance

2015-2017 5.0L / 5.2L COYOTE HIGH-PERFORMANCE CAM PHASER M-6004-A50R Variable cam timing (VCT) phasers require proper oil pressure to function correctly. It is inherent that all cam phasers have a certain oil leak rate. These high performance cam phasers have a much lower leak rate than stock, allowing better control of the phasers at higher engine speeds and loads.These cam phasers are oriented for racing applications. • Fits 2015-2017 Mustang GT 5.0L • Original equipment on 2015-2019 Mustang GT350R 5.2L • Includes 2 intake cam and 2 exhaust cam phasers

rmahone5

Reaction score
Had the issue on my 2017 first popped up about 30 thousand miles then it had to be done at about 75 thousand miles thankfully I have the extended warranty but this is a issue. Both times the repair process was a disaster due to errors made by the technician who did it causing more then 1 trip back and the second time 4 trips back to get it done correctly.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
It happened on my 17 at 34000. My experience was great thought. My dealer had me in and out in 2 weeks and solid as of now 39000 as of writing this.

rmahone5

Reaction score
My trucks been done two times once at around 40K and again around 75K both times repair process went terrible and required multiple trips back not due to bad parts but bad repairs from the technicians who rushed through the repair and did a half a&$ job.

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in for cam phasers for 2nd time @ 35k miles. Had replaced w/ previous "C" part number back in sep 19 @ 27k miles. Got the rattle back after 5k miles.

Hope this new "CD" part fixes the issue

Webb24

Reaction score
Been waiting five weeks to get my truck into the shop. They keep telling me they are waiting on a loaner but the parts are there. Starting to get frustrated with them. The cold start up sound is getting worse and it sounds like the timing chain is slapping. The truck is an 18' with 35k miles.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Been waiting five weeks to get my truck into the shop. They keep telling me they are waiting on a loaner but the parts are there. Starting to get frustrated with them. The cold start up sound is getting worse and it sounds like the timing chain is slapping. The truck is an 18' with 35k miles.
Try the “hold it to the floor method for 10 sec while it cranks”. It will prime the phasers and the truck won’t make the sound. But you get to deal with the not starting sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.