Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Y'all come up with a new part number for them craptastic cam phasers yet?

Tappa tap tap...

Part number was already revised sasquatch, as I mentioned in a previous post that you chose to ignore. You demonstrate the same behavior as Kuan, and we all see how he ended up. You have no facts or data, you're just in this thread to create rumors and stir up trouble. You don't even understand the principles of cam phaser operation.

Ford GT uses the same cam phasers as the Raptor. Why don't you go over to their forum and explain how the Gen II GT is "going in the *******" and how "craptastic" you think everything is. While you're at it, you might as well tell them how their values are plummeting from the issue as well, since you're on quite a roll with the ********.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the information. Based on your experience and if it was your Raptor you were working on would you remove the cab or not?

If you remove the cab do you think the completion time would be a little more? If so, by how many hours?

I’m contemplating paying a little extra if it makes sense to remove the cab to get a better job done and keep the paint and body safe.

If the oil was just changed is it theoretically possible to remove and replace the filter and top it off when done?

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It definitely takes some considerable time to remove/reinstall the cab; on an F-150 it should easily add a couple hours to the job. I'm guessing that the technicians who choose to do so are making the time up during the repair, since all of the components are more accessible. Personally, unless it's a consistent repair that justifies spending the time to perfect the procedure in order to expedite the process or make the repair simpler, I just follow the Workshop Manual procedure.

With the front cover removed, the engine oil will be exposed to coolant draining from the front of the engine block. This is the reason that the oil change is required. It's free to the customer, it just gets billed out on the warranty claim.

Alex_Reich

Reaction score
Anyone get a ford buyback? I’m currently working on getting one for my 2018 Raptor. Bought a leftover back in July. Had the valve covers replaced at 3k miles, and now cam phasers at 10k. Trucks been in the shop collectively for almost a month..

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Anyone get a ford buyback? I’m currently working on getting one for my 2018 Raptor. Bought a leftover back in July. Had the valve covers replaced at 3k miles, and now cam phasers at 10k. Trucks been in the shop collectively for almost a month all together..
Sounds like it will be bullet proof when you get it back. Sucks to be making payments and having it sit though. Unless you paid cash.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone get a ford buyback? I’m currently working on getting one for my 2018 Raptor. Bought a leftover back in July. Had the valve covers replaced at 3k miles, and now cam phasers at 10k. Trucks been in the shop collectively for almost a month..

Sounds like a dealership issue. A Valve cover and cam phaser replacement can be completed in less than 2 days by a competent certified technician. If you contact Ford Customer Service they will often make a payment on your behalf for the time that the vehicle has been out of service, even if it's the dealer's fault.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score

And all that happened & you just now decided to join a raptor forum & made your first post eh? How many Ford haters are trolling this site these days?!

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With over 1,000,000 f150’s built each year, there are going to be issues with some. Even if 1% have issues, that’s 10,000 per year. Empirically saying, it’s mathematically unrealistic to assume a truck isn’t going to have an issue and saying for 80k it shouldn’t have issues.

If the raptor was made on a dedicated line with dedicated engineers like some high end manufacturers you might have a point. But anything mass produced will have issues. This isn’t a ford specific problem.

Sure it sucks if you have the problem but to assume it won’t because of the price you paid is living in fantasy land. I’m sure ford would love to have no issues Or warranty claims but when you rely on other to make parts, apart from QC sampling, it’s a shot in the dark for anyone.

Build and assembly quality is a ford issue. Individual component issues are most likely another manufacture.

Hahn Solo

Reaction score
Just had the cam phasers replaced on my truck last week. I walked in on Tuesday morning without an appointment, and I got there as soon as the service department opened because it was my day off. I showed the service advisor this video and he said "Yup, more cam phasers. We just finished two trucks." They gave me a 2020 Explorer Limited with 20 miles on it that had just been brought in as a new loaner vehicle, and then they took my truck into the shop. My truck was done in two days but it took me 4 days to pick it up due to my work schedule. However, I made them aware of my work situation in advance so it wasn't a problem. I returned the loaner Explorer (I put about 350 miles on it) and jumped back into my truck on Saturday morning. My truck has a little under 24k miles on it.

Last edited:

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Just had the cam phasers replaced on my truck last week. I walked in on Tuesday morning without an appointment, and I got there as soon as the service department opened because it was my day off. I showed the service advisor this video and he said "Yup, more cam phasers. We just finished two trucks." They gave me a 2020 Explorer Limited with 20 miles on it that had just been brought in as a new loaner vehicle, and then they took my truck into the shop. My truck was done in two days but it took me 4 days to pick it up due to my work schedule. However, I made them aware of my work situation in advance so it wasn't a problem. I returned the loaner Explorer (I put about 350 miles on it) and jumped back into my truck on Saturday morning. My truck has a little under 24k miles on it.

If you wouldn’t mind, would you let us know what the part number was with the new phasers?

Status
Not open for further replies.