Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's been in the shop for a few days getting them replaced.

They did give me a loaner Ranger 4x4 to drive with only 150 miles on it!

FYI- My Raptor has 43K miles

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You are dense. They are all still under warranty. There's no "actions" because Ford is eating ALL of the repair costs.

And there will be no "actions" out of warranty because at that point it is buyer beware. Ford is 100% off the hook at 5 yrs or 60K miles, whichever comes first. If you buy a used 2017 out of warranty and the phasers crap out the next day- it's on you. You can't take "action" against Ford. If you bought it from a dealer, they might help you out- maybe. If you bought it private party, you are SOL.

I may be dense, but I can go to school and learn, you’re being a troll and being a troll is like being a c*cksucker. Once you are one, you’re one forever.

Ford has to pay for warranty repairs, which, apparently some Jennifer owners do know about because searching the gen1 forums, there sure are a lot of occurrences of the word ‘warranty’...

If they had the number of failures that your fearless leader sasquatch77 would have us believe, Ford wouldn’t have any money to develop new vehicles or sustain parts for any other engine. There are failures. There are legit failures of the parts, and let’s be honest, the stealerships service departments. But they are few and far between. There’s 4 years of this engine out in the field. if it was a catastrophe of the proportions you try so hard to convince people of, why did it end up in the Platinum, and Navigator? that wouldn’t make financial sense.

Yeah, yeah, you know a guy in the local service department, and he says they’ve repaired 13,500 sets of cam phasers in the last month and have a 9 month wait to get repairs. Riiiiiiigght.

We all get that you don’t like the new Raptor, that’s fine. Move on already.

The "action" that does happen with a sub-standard engine design is that Ford's image is degraded by former owners who are pissed off.

You are single handedly responsible for more image degradation to Ford than every disgruntled 2017+ Raptor owner on the planet.

D

Deleted member 17706

There will be no significant impact on value because the vast majority of these failures are occurring well within warranty, and not every vehicle will have the issue because not every phaser manufactured pre-revision was faulty. If a truck reaches 5 years/60k miles and the phasers are quiet, they are fine.

If you get a chance, can you watch the video posted by @dburb, it is only a few post before this one.

The Ford senior mechanic states in the video that there is nothing that you can do to prevent the cam phaser issue. It either is going to happen or it is not going to happen. Based on your statement, are you saying if it is going to happen, that it would be before the warranty is up? In other words, if one is going to have a cam phaser issue, then it more in likely will be early on in the ownership process rather than later on? I understand there are always statistical outliers lol.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you get a chance, can you watch the video posted by @dburb, it is only a few post before this one.

The Ford senior mechanic states in the video that there is nothing that you can do to prevent the cam phaser issue. It either is going to happen or it is not going to happen. Based on your statement, are you saying if it is going to happen, that it would be before the warranty is up? In other words, if one is going to have a cam phaser issue, then it more in likely will be early on in the ownership process rather than later on? I understand there are always statistical outliers lol.

While the video provided shows the mode of failure of the phaser, the technician does not seem to be familiar with the revised parts or calibration per the SSM. That concerns me, because if he's installing the revised parts (provided by the Parts Department) but not updating the calibration, it may end up as a comeback with a repeat failure.

All cam phasers regardless of brand operate on the same principle...a locking pin engages on engine shutdown. Early Gen II 3.5 phasers were identified to have an issue with the locking pin sticking, most likely related to tolerance/machining/RA. All of the failures I've seen have been within warranty. Ford engineering identified the issue and revised the part to prevent that concern from occurring. Does that mean all phasers produced from there on out will be 100% defect free? Of course not, that's an unfortunate reality of mass production that applies to any vehicle.

Raptus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne can you tell me if the oil has to be changed or if the oil pan needs to be removed to replace the cam phasers on the Raptor?

Can you also comment on the advantages/disadvantages of removing the cab and bed to do the repair on the Raptor? The paint on my Raptor is immaculate and I’d like to be the one to mess it up myself. :)

Appreciate all the technical info you provide all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oil pan does not need to be removed.

Removing the cab gives you much more access to the engine but I don't think most techs remove the cab.

@FordTechOne can you tell me if the oil has to be changed or if the oil pan needs to be removed to replace the cam phasers on the Raptor?

Can you also comment on the advantages/disadvantages of removing the cab and bed to do the repair on the Raptor? The paint on my Raptor is immaculate and I’d like to be the one to mess it up myself. :)

Appreciate all the technical info you provide all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are single handedly responsible for more image degradation to Ford than every disgruntled 2017+ Raptor owner on the planet.

Sure dude.

I'm the one causing Gen 2 Raptors to rattle on startup and be left at dealers for weeks on end while the owners continue to pay their $700/mo bank note and drive some shit loaner around (if you dealer was nice enough to give you one).

Yup- that's ALL me.

Your assertion that the Gen 1 trucks had a lot of warranty work compare to Gen 2 trucks is absurd. The only thing on the Gen 1 that is more failure prone than a Gen 2 is the PS system.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like cam phasers and other cost savings measures are starting to take take a toll on earnings.

“The drop is because of the continuation of higher warranty costs during the second half of 2019, lower vehicle sales volumes, reduced results from Ford Credit, and higher investment in the development of the next generation of self-driving and electric vehicles.”

https://apple.news/AcgQ19JViToiZAyoW4goDhA

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Sure dude.

I'm the one causing Gen 2 Raptors to rattle on startup and be left at dealers for weeks on end while the owners continue to pay their $700/mo bank note and drive some shit loaner around (if you dealer was nice enough to give you one).

Yup- that's ALL me.

Your assertion that the Gen 1 trucks had a lot of warranty work compare to Gen 2 trucks is absurd. The only thing on the Gen 1 that is more failure prone than a Gen 2 is the PS system.
:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:

Status
Not open for further replies.