Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Us "Gen 1 naysayers" have been saying all along that this engine is going to be a POS in the long run, and that nobody will want a Gen 2 that is out of warranty.

FIFY.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will admit I also thought the electric steering racks would be spit out left and right, and that is not the case at all. They rarely fail, especially compared to a Gen 1 setup.

I wasn't sure on the 10 speed, but I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since it's a RWD trans and GM had a hand in it.

Otherwise, it's just a normal F150 with some different suspension bits, there's nothing else unique or costly to really fail that isn't on their other trucks. They engine is the issue. There is no choice. The force it down your throat if you want a new F150 Raptor. It only takes a failure rate that's 1% higher to affect thousands of owners. When those owners become the ones on the hook for the repairs- they will become loud about it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
And if the numbers were there on the absolute number of failures / repairs, there would be larger actions against Ford. If the @EricM / sasquatch77 and her disciples narrative is to be believed, this failure is so prevalent that it would be impossible for Ford to turn a profit and even survive financially for even a single model year.

That’s no comfort to anyone waiting for a repair or having to pay for it, but numerically this is way less of a thing than this thread portends.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And if the numbers were there on the absolute number of failures / repairs, there would be larger actions against Ford

You are dense. They are all still under warranty. There's no "actions" because Ford is eating ALL of the repair costs.

And there will be no "actions" out of warranty because at that point it is buyer beware. Ford is 100% off the hook at 5 yrs or 60K miles, whichever comes first. If you buy a used 2017 out of warranty and the phasers crap out the next day- it's on you. You can't take "action" against Ford. If you bought it from a dealer, they might help you out- maybe. If you bought it private party, you are SOL.

The "action" that does happen with a sub-standard engine design is that Ford's image is degraded by former owners who are pissed off.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are dense. They are all still under warranty. There's no "actions" because Ford is eating ALL of the repair costs.

And there will be no "actions" out of warranty because at that point it is buyer beware. Ford is 100% off the hook at 5 yrs or 60K miles, whichever comes first. If you buy a used 2017 out of warranty and the phasers crap out the next day- it's on you. You can't take "action" against Ford. If you bought it from a dealer, they might help you out- maybe. If you bought it private party, you are SOL.

The "action" that does happen with a sub-standard engine design is that Ford's image is degraded by former owners who are pissed off.

There is no "sub standard engine design". The issue was isolated to 2 faulty part numbers, which were the intake and exhaust phasers. This is not something that is engine design related.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's all well and good as long as it's under warranty.

Us "Gen 1 naysayers" have been saying all along that this engine is going to be a POS in the long run, and that nobody will want a Gen 2 that is out of warranty.

"Nobody" meaning lots of people still obviously, but the ongoing phaser issues are going to put a huge dent in the value because buyers have to factor in a likely $3K phaser job, and maybe more than once. Cam phasers in Gen 2 Raptor are not an easy fix, and are not something most guys can bang out in their garage.

Ford has to get this fixed or the reputation of the Gen 2 trucks is going to go in the *******. The good thing is it's a current engine, and it's used in more than just the Raptor, so I'd bet at some point they will come up will a part that will last.

They already did...hence the SSM with revised part numbers and PCM calibration. The issue was determined to be the phaser locking pin engagement upon shutdown. Any vehicles that had more than one repair were most likely serviced using the old parts or the dealer performed the repair incorrectly. I've seen many dealers replace the phasers and not update the PCM as required.

There will be no significant impact on value because the vast majority of these failures are occurring well within warranty, and not every vehicle will have the issue because not every phaser manufactured pre-revision was faulty. If a truck reaches 5 years/60k miles and the phasers are quiet, they are fine.

dburb

Reaction score
Hello FordTechOne is the pin in the video I posted above the one you're talking about? About 3:00 in.

D

Deleted member 17706

Hello FordTechOne is the pin in the video I posted above the one you're talking about? About 3:00 in.

Yea, that is the same pin discussed in the video. Thanks for posting that video—it was informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free