Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^ We are still working on the formula. Results we are getting are good but still need to do a lot of testing to make sure we have it 100% ready for the market. I am still not happy with the way it is working in the colder temps (ambient). Trying to get that fixed. When the ambient temp is higher than 60 deg F there is no rattle, colder there is a slight rattle but quickly goes away and the engine runs very smooth and quite a few seconds later. When I say it has a slight rattle, it is just enough where you can count the number of ticks (14 to be exact) from the rattle at start up. The engine goes to normal operation right after.

On how the product works, yes it does make the internal engine parts run smoother due to the level of penetration the product has with the metal surface. On a microscopic level it bonds in the metal surface providing a much less abrasive surface for the parts. Your engine oil is supposed to do the same but it has it's limits on penetration into the metal. The next thing is that it reduces the viscosity through the parts while still maintaining the higher levels of coating in the engine as well. Typically what you will find is that lighter oil will not form the same filming effect as more viscose fluids. Our product fixes that. The product also works by cleaning and permanently removing any sludge and/or coking in the engine, specifically in the turbos, caused by the higher temps. Our product is formulated to be stable at temps and pressure much higher than what an engine can or could produce.

Last edited:

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was finally able to upload a couple of videos to show the difference between treated and untreated engine oil.

My engine treated with our product: Cold start, and yes you can still hear the waste gate rattle but I have a clip of my other car that is turbo and makes the same sound at startup when cold.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5UempntSCmgBu8TT9

My engine untreated: Cold Start
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ifMCyNgbAkfnTvLB7

Ambient temp on both days were between 65-72 deg F.

The untreated was taken today, so while my current engine oil isn't treated you can still hear the effects once the engine is warm. The engine noise is very quite, much less than before I started using the product. I will be treating it today, and will record the effects once I have everything circulated and can get a good cold start up tomorrow. Excuse some of the background noise from today, yard crew a couple houses down making noise.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I was finally able to upload a couple of videos to show the difference between treated and untreated engine oil.

My engine treated with our product: Cold start, and yes you can still hear the waste gate rattle but I have a clip of my other car that is turbo and makes the same sound at startup when cold.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5UempntSCmgBu8TT9

My engine untreated: Cold Start
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ifMCyNgbAkfnTvLB7

Ambient temp on both days were between 65-72 deg F.

The untreated was taken today, so while my current engine oil isn't treated you can still hear the effects once the engine is warm. The engine noise is very quite, much less than before I started using the product. I will be treating it today, and will record the effects once I have everything circulated and can get a good cold start up tomorrow. Excuse some of the background noise from today, yard crew a couple houses down making noise.

Something stuck with me from one of your previous descriptions of the @Bhollier mystery oil; particularly about thinning the mixture.

I wonder if running a 0wNN weight oil would make a difference?

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was just talking with my business partner about that same thing earlier. I was thinking that maybe the engine prefers a 0W15 or 0W30 like some European turbo vehicles use. Only issue is that with those 0 weight lubricants they don't leave a film as well when the fluids cool. I am waiting to see what my oil analysis comes back with from Blackstone, I can tell just from looking at the oil when we changed it, there is a significant difference. 6,000 miles and was clean wasn't as deep black as what is was before I started treating it. You can feel the difference on you fingers between the oil that was changed and the new 5W30 Full Synthetic we went with. The oil that came out of the engine was light but coated very well and was much more slick. The mechanics around even said the same.

BTW, the product name we are going with is RDV01L.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is the latest. Treated this morning around 09:30 CST. Circulated the engine for 30 min at idle rpm. Starting up cold this afternoon, very little to no rattle. Here is the clip from start up and through the idle to normal. I also was able to show the waste gate operation so everyone can see the cycle they go through at start up. I was closer than the video from earlier this morning so I could hear better if the rattle was still there. Pretty windy when I took the video, my apologies.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gZDtq6eq2wcg9jh26

Will get another video in the morning after running the motor more this afternoon and letting it sit overnight.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
yeah, you need a good cold soak to test out the theory here. more than 18 hours down.

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought Ford was fixing these under warranty? Why the need for an oil treatment?

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah, you need a good cold soak to test out the theory here. more than 18 hours down.

Working on that. We are playing with a couple of different formulations to see which would have the longest filming effects for long term storage or protection. The key seems to be letting the engine run ling enough when applying the treatment for the product to react inside the motor. The product is a reactive chemical so there are a few things it needs in order to properly activate in the engine.

Then again, my goal is to figure out the right formulation that works for everyone. Just add and forget, no special procedures for it to work correctly.

To the point in the posting above, yes Ford is fixing them under warranty but what about those with reoccurring problems or those out of warranty. The issues isn't isolated to just the Raptor engine. If my team and I can find a solution it helps everyone. May also be something that I can work with fluid/ lubricant manufacturers to add to their current lubricants during the manufacturing process so this doesn't become an issue in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.