Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My '12 eco did this. It did it one time at like 30k miles, Then again around 50K. Then from about 80-100k it started doing it once a week. Towards the end, every time I started it, it rattled and it was getting louder. The truck was perfect other than that. It was paid off, and I wanted to drive it forever. When I found out it was going to cost around $3,500 to fix it, I traded it in for Raptor. I ordered a 17 and totally got ****** around by the dealer. Ended up getting the first order from them when it opened up I believe in May of '17 for an '18. I received it August of 17. I have 25k on it right now. This morning it is a little cold, so I started the truck as I was walking up, and low and behold, the dreaded rattle... I'm pretty pissed that 6 model years later, I am dealt the same fate. This is crap...

No motor mods or tunes other than a pedal commander...
Yikes!!

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '12 eco did this. It did it one time at like 30k miles, Then again around 50K. Then from about 80-100k it started doing it once a week. Towards the end, every time I started it, it rattled and it was getting louder. The truck was perfect other than that. It was paid off, and I wanted to drive it forever. When I found out it was going to cost around $3,500 to fix it, I traded it in for Raptor. I ordered a 17 and totally got ****** around by the dealer. Ended up getting the first order from them when it opened up I believe in May of '17 for an '18. I received it August of 17. I have 25k on it right now. This morning it is a little cold, so I started the truck as I was walking up, and low and behold, the dreaded rattle... I'm pretty pissed that 6 model years later, I am dealt the same fate. This is crap...

No motor mods or tunes other than a pedal commander...

I’m sorry. Had the repair at 25k, car sat through a six day trip and rattled on startup, 1000 miles since they fixed it. I’m more sad than angry, always been a blue oval family. This may be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m sorry. Had the repair at 25k, car sat through a six day trip and rattled on startup, 1000 miles since they fixed it. I’m more sad than angry, always been a blue oval family. This may be it.

Why don't y'all just do a lockout then? Isn't that a pretty easy and common 'fix' for this?

TrackRat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a video of the sound? Curious to know what to be on the lookout for. $4k isn’t cheap but isn’t as bad as I thought it might be. Maybe getting a tune will be in my future

Crash45

Reaction score
Anyone have a video of the sound? Curious to know what to be on the lookout for. $4k isn’t cheap but isn’t as bad as I thought it might be. Maybe getting a tune will be in my future

I wish I didn’t know what it sounded like. Don’t have a video. Mine has only done it once and it was faint, but unfortunately now that this is truck #2, I knew exactly what it was. It sounds like a mild newer diesel truck rattle for about 2 - 3 secs then it quickly smooths out to normal. It comes from the front bumper. 1st time u hear it you will be like, “wait what?” Then when u hear it again, your heart will break...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wfo

Crash45

Reaction score
Found one (not me). Keep in mind, this is a VERY loud version of the noise. It can be much much milder, but the same...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wfo

WMRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that sounds bad hope mine doesn't do this ever. I have mods ready to go but have been holding off till my first two oil changes to make sure I don't have an issue.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yikes!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn’t happen to my late build 18.

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t be certain, but mine possibly did it today. I was around the side of the house when I remote started it and heard what appeared to be the dreaded marbles in a tin can rattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.