Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdvRap

Reaction score
It’s not something to worry about unless you experience the concern. Not every phaser is faulty. Late build 2018 and all 2019 models had an updated part that is less likely to have an issue compared with 2017 and early build 2018 models.

Trucks built 11/1/2019 and later have the latest part which was redesigned to prevent the failure mode from occurring. This is the same part you get if you experience the issue and bring your truck into the dealer for the TSB.

A software update is being developed to prevent the failure mode regardless of part number. The preliminary info says the update should be available this month. It’s part of a Customer Satisfaction Program, all owners should receive a letter in the mail when it becomes available.
Great information, thank you. ooked at my manufacture date: 3/19

I’ll keep an eye on the forum for people receiving notice for software update!

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well so far..so good. Got 2021 f150 king ranch as rental and they ordered parts and proceeding with repair.
Well I got it back after 11 days with all new parts all done....started up, no noise awesome! Parked across street At Home Depot and went shopping. I came out and started the truck with that all too familiar noise rattling again. Should be interesting when I take back tomorrow.

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine back today after 6 days. This is my second go round with getting them replaced. The first time took 2 1/2 months hopefully I won’t hear the rattle in the morning fingers crossed.

KH4

Reaction score
I have been Anxiously hoping this day would never come but it seems that my 17 with 26k has given into the cam phaser issue.

Left a message for my service advisor this morning so we’ll see what their timeline is to get it fixed I was denied a loaner car on one other warranty item once because I didn’t buy the truck from them hoping that’s not the case on this

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got it back after 11 days with all new parts all done....started up, no noise awesome! Parked across street At Home Depot and went shopping. I came out and started the truck with that all too familiar noise rattling again. Should be interesting when I take back tomorrow.
So now that fixed, works perfect on cold start no noise perfect. Almost every “warm” start the phasers rattle....fun.

RobW33

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems like text book cam phaser noise. I'm due for an oil change but want to get this sorted at the same time. Is there a TSB and part number(s) I can tell the dealer about so I am certain I'll be getting the revised part (plus new software)? My is a Feb. 2018 build with just over 48K. Noise started a month or so ago. Zero mods on the truck and super well cared for - all dealer maintenance every 5000 miles. This start was after engine was sitting for a couple of hours. On cold start it takes a bit longer to settlle down.
View attachment IMG_0375.MOV

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This seems like text book cam phaser noise. I'm due for an oil change but want to get this sorted at the same time. Is there a TSB and part number(s) I can tell the dealer about so I am certain I'll be getting the revised part (plus new software)? My is a Feb. 2018 build with just over 48K. Noise started a month or so ago. Zero mods on the truck and super well cared for - all dealer maintenance every 5000 miles. This start was after engine was sitting for a couple of hours. On cold start it takes a bit longer to settlle down.
View attachment 170127
That sounds different than the typical cam phaser locking pin failure. However, it’s possible that a phaser experienced a different failure mode and is causing that noise. The TSB for phaser replacement is 21-2119.

RobW33

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds different than the typical cam phaser locking pin failure. However, it’s possible that a phaser experienced a different failure mode and is causing that noise. The TSB for phaser replacement is 21-2119.
Here's another video from today after the truck was off for more than 3 hours. Seems that the rattle is a bit worse after a short "rest". Is this more in line with the sound you would expect? Thanks for your insight!
View attachment IMG_0382.MOV

LouK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunately it looks like my 17 with 43K on it is starting to develop this issue. We have a cross country move coming up in 3 weeks and unless we get extremely lucky i dont see the dealer replacing it that fast. In the case that they cannot get it replaced how detrimental would a 1500 mile drive be? It is not a fully blown metallic rattle yet but listening to some youtubes it is very similar.

"Edit"
I found a dealer that will replace it next week, below is a cold start of it.

Last edited: