Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let's completely overlook the multiple cam phaser TSB on the first gen 3.5. Yeah..... I was surprised to find this out myself when looking into it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You Jennifers have the obsessive MPG thread and we Jennies have the sasquatch77 inspired threads. 2 years ago it was weep holes, now it’s the cam phaser boogeyman, affecting something like .05% of trucks, but it gets a lot of views, like any other sensational post.

Too much internet time, not enough off road time.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
what’s the point of the video above? Other than reposting the same video that the ‘squatch was hawking 18-24 months ago?

There’s a problem with some trucks. Dealer service departments have sometimes not acquitted themselves well in dealing with this, and some of the other problems. Parts availability has been an ongoing challenge for pretty much any Raptor problem.

There are, at least according to posts here, dealers that refuse to do anything about the “start up rattle” because no codes are being thrown but then again, some of these ‘start up rattle’ cases are benign, and in all likelihood will never be symptomatic, because with this type of system there’s some rattle at startup all the time, some quieter than others and again many will never be a problem.

Mapleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven’t been active on here in a bit. Had phasers done in dec have a appointment for Monday with different dealer than last time for phasers again. Mobil 1 with motorcraft filter changed at oil life intervals. I Think this eb 3.5 is a junk box. Way too many people with this problem. Class action law suit seems inevitable.
38k on truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nh rapta owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven’t been active on here in a bit. Had phasers done in dec have a appointment for Monday with different dealer than last time for phasers again. Mobil 1 with motorcraft filter changed at oil life intervals. I Think this eb 3.5 is a junk box. Way too many people with this problem. Class action law suit seems inevitable.
38k on truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
did you vote in this thread?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You Jennifers have the obsessive MPG thread and we Jennies have the sasquatch77 inspired threads. 2 years ago it was weep holes, now it’s the cam phaser boogeyman, affecting something like .05% of trucks, but it gets a lot of views, like any other sensational post.

Too much internet time, not enough off road time.

The poll and responses in this thread indicate a far higher failure rate than 0.05%, but whatever. Standing by my prediction 100%. This thread will have LEGS.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The poll and responses in this thread indicate a far higher failure rate than 0.05%, but whatever. Standing by my prediction 100%. This thread will have LEGS.

Exactly. Fortunately, every FRF subscribed gen2 owner has accurately reflected their experience within this poll.

:beatdeadhorse5:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

You have literally become a Ecoboost cheerleader.

If multiple people have had multiple repair attempts at low mileage, there are clearly issues. Just because yours isn't having issues doesn't mean there is not a problem. A "problem" engine can be reliable for 99% of the people. Sounds pretty good huh? That leaves 1 in 100 buyers with a major problem. That's a lot. No, I don't think it's anywhere near 20% like the poll shows, or even 5%, but it's way more than the typical Ford engine.

You poo-pooing the issues doesn't change the fact that Ford dealers are tearing into these engines at low mileage to replace cam phasers, often times more than once. You know, the same dealers who can never hear a rattle or duplicate any problems- yet somehow it's bad enough for them to get Ford to approve warranty work on the engine timing components.