Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck had the phaser noise but only after it sat for 10+ hours. Every startup after that was fine till it sat again. This past month it got loud (70,100 Miles). Sounded like a diesel motor for 2 secs on the cold startup.

I dropped the truck off the night before and they confirmed the next morning it needed phasers. Dealer already said they had all the parts in stock and started on the job. While inspecting the phasers Ford asked for a further inspection of the cam caps. Tech found heavy marks on the cam caps and cams. Ford then asked for the oil pan to be removed and inspected for metal. Oil pan was removed and tons of shavings were found. Dealer requested a replacement longblock.

The motor install began the next day and took about 4 days. The new longblock was complete from oil pan to valve covers. It came with the updated metal oil pan (I had plastic) and what appears to be different valve covers. My engine cover does not fit correctly over the oil fill cap anymore.

My truck lives a very easy life. I change the oil every 5k with moble1. Never got a single engine code or low oil pressure light. The motor never showed any signs of trouble. I was pretty shocked when they said I needed a new motor. The new motor is great and I am super happy with the repairs. The Flood Ford extended warranty was worth every penny.
Thanks for the info.

I have a similar situation. First failure was barley noticeable, but they also replaced waste gates because they were frozen.

Now like you said has to sit over night. And is super load, mine sounds like a diesel with a miss. Hopefully they dig that deep into it. I’m still under the extended warranty for another 15k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I have a similar situation. First failure was barley noticeable, but they also replaced waste gates because they were frozen.

Now like you said has to sit over night. And is super load, mine sounds like a diesel with a miss. Hopefully they dig that deep into it. I’m still under the extended warranty for another 15k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This entire thing sucks but your fully protected with the extended warranty. I hope they fix you up properly this time around. Let me know how it works out for you.

AdvRap

Reaction score
I voted "no" but I just picked up a 2019 raptor with 32k miles. So I'm not sure if the previous owner dealt with this issue. I have to admit after reading these forums about this problem it stings a little knowing this about my new truck.

A couple of questions though. (future selling points to the wife about why I "NEED" a 2020+)

-Are the 2020s affected by this? If not, what was the change in design to remedy?
-Also, the Raptor "R" definitely wouldn't have this issue correct? So if the V8 supercharged version was purchased we would never have to worry and I could keep that truck forever! ;)

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I voted "no" but I just picked up a 2019 raptor with 32k miles. So I'm not sure if the previous owner dealt with this issue. I have to admit after reading these forums about this problem it stings a little knowing this about my new truck.

A couple of questions though. (future selling points to the wife about why I "NEED" a 2020+)

-Are the 2020s affected by this? If not, what was the change in design to remedy?
-Also, the Raptor "R" definitely wouldn't have this issue correct? So if the V8 supercharged version was purchased we would never have to worry and I could keep that truck forever! ;)
It’s not something to worry about unless you experience the concern. Not every phaser is faulty. Late build 2018 and all 2019 models had an updated part that is less likely to have an issue compared with 2017 and early build 2018 models.

Trucks built 11/1/2019 and later have the latest part which was redesigned to prevent the failure mode from occurring. This is the same part you get if you experience the issue and bring your truck into the dealer for the TSB.

A software update is being developed to prevent the failure mode regardless of part number. The preliminary info says the update should be available this month. It’s part of a Customer Satisfaction Program, all owners should receive a letter in the mail when it becomes available.