Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 19 was built last September (last week of production for 19?) and at 8,000 and it most definitely has one or more failing cam phaser. Dealer diagnosed, area service rep confirmed parts on order.

Thanks for the suffix info.

Nood1es

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Early 2019 model. Bought new with 10 miles last feb. Rattle started at 3k miles. Recorded it and showed SA, they said no cel no fix basically.

10k miles later. Stage 2+ running e50 w/100% ****. I show new SA the old recording and tell him it’s gotten worse from then on. It’s being replaced under warranty as I type this. Badass.. they were the ones to install the **** kit too.

2019 scott

Reaction score
Early 2019 model. Bought new with 10 miles last feb. Rattle started at 3k miles. Recorded it and showed SA, they said no cel no fix basically.

10k miles later. Stage 2+ running e50 w/100% ****. I show new SA the old recording and tell him it’s gotten worse from then on. It’s being replaced under warranty as I type this. Badass.. they were the ones to install the **** kit too.
There seems to be more and more 19’s with this issue popping up as the miles accumulate. Hopefully the redesigned phasers reduce the failure rates but like it has been stated there are 4 of these in each engine times however many engines they produce so even a redesign isn’t going to totally delete all failures, just reduce the failure rate.
But i’m going to continue to hold the pedal down and build at least a few pounds of oil pressure on cold starts to hopefully head the problem off if that even prevents the issue from occurring.

Nood1es

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phasers never failed on me. I just decided to test my luck and see if they would be replaced and under warranty. Low and behold they did it.

the noise on startup honestly wasn’t even too bad. Maybe because the catted dp and corsa xtreme drowned it out.

2019 scott

Reaction score
Phasers never failed on me. I just decided to test my luck and see if they would be replaced and under warranty. Low and behold they did it.

the noise on startup honestly wasn’t even too bad. Maybe because the catted dp and corsa xtreme drowned it out.
It almost seems like even once the noise starts it’s just an annoyance, you rarely gear of anything failing that causes any issues. Once the trucks are old enough and out of warranty people will say the heck with it and just let it rattle on startup and continue to drive it that way. Then we will see if they will run forever that way. If you look at the f150 sites the 1st generation 3.5 ecoboost engines had the same cam phaser cold start rattle issues along with timing chain stretch and the guys that just have the cold start rattle and are out of warranty just keep driving them and I haven’t really heard if any issues by just letting it rattle on startup, just annoying. Now the timing chain stretch will cause a check engine light if it gets too bad but the 2nd gen3.5 has heavier timing chains so hopefully chain stretch won’t be an issue on the 2nd gen engines.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
they said no cel no fix basically

Ask them what CEL would be thrown if your pinion gear took a cr@p, or if your moon roof wouldn’t close.

Open a case with Ford CS, because that is the wrong ****ing answer, Private.
Although, there’s a credible case to be made to NOT allow a service department with the “no CEL / no problem” policy to ever work on your vehicle because they’re quite possibly incompetent.

Nood1es

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask them what CEL would be thrown if your pinion gear took a cr@p, or if your moon roof wouldn’t close.

Open a case with Ford CS, because that is the wrong ****ing answer, Private.
Although, there’s a credible case to be made to NOT allow a service department with the “no CEL / no problem” policy to ever work on your vehicle because they’re quite possibly incompetent.

Yeah this was last year with an old SA that no longer works there. Guess there must be a reason why he’s no longer there.