Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, my truck is scheduled to go in tomorrow for the cam phaser replacement. Does anyone know if the latest cam shaft sprocket PN's ending in the letter "C" are indeed the true fix? With my truck being a July 2019 build and having less than 7,000 miles, I don't believe Ford has a "fix" for the problem, are they just trying different phaser designs hoping to find a fix? FordTechOne - any comments would be appreciated. Also, they're going to have to disconnect the battery while performing the work, does this mean my transmission has to "re-learn"?

Has the dealership confirmed that the concern is in fact a cam phaser noise?

Ford is not "trying different phaser designs"; making baseless statements like that only promulgates false rumors and speculation. An issue was identified with the phaser locking pins that were causing the concern on early Gen II engines. The revised phasers were implemented in mid 2018. However, that doesn't mean that out of the millions of phasers produced each year that a faulty one will never exist; that philosophy is not realistic in mass production of anything.

In regards to part numbers, the latest suffix on the intake phasers is "C" and the suffix on the exhaust phasers is "CD". All 2019 engines have the revised phasers. As I said, that doesn't mean that 100% of any component produced in millions of units per year will be free from a single defect.

Most dealership technicians will disconnect the battery before performing the work. In that case, the transmission will re-learn.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info on this FordTechOne. :favorites13: I have a race red '20 on order that will be built in the next few weeks. Really glad to see that it looks like this is now sorted.

Last edited:

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Well, my truck is scheduled to go in tomorrow for the cam phaser replacement. Does anyone know if the latest cam shaft sprocket PN's ending in the letter "C" are indeed the true fix? With my truck being a July 2019 build and having less than 7,000 miles, I don't believe Ford has a "fix" for the problem, are they just trying different phaser designs hoping to find a fix? FordTechOne - any comments would be appreciated. Also, they're going to have to disconnect the battery while performing the work, does this mean my transmission has to "re-learn"?

CD at the end was confirmed to be the most up to date. So far so good for me but only a few k on the repair.

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what was the part prior to "CD" at the end? mine was replaced w/ "C" at the end(in mid sep) and i have had the noise again since 2,000 miles after the fix...

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what was the part prior to "CD" at the end? mine was replaced w/ "C" at the end(in mid sep) and i have had the noise again since 2,000 miles after the fix...

Make sure that you are looking at the right stuff... see this work order:

IMG_6494.JPG

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you assuming this, or do you know the old part number ended with "C" ? My truck was in the shop when the new SSM 48053 came out.

CD is the new parts; C was the old part. Waiting for the next CE revision!