Cam Phaser/ Engine Failure Poll

Have you had or have a cam phaser or engine failure on your Gen 2?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
interesting. I had a 2000 Mcoup also and have own a lot of cars and held onto that one the longest. And I never had any issues with my Mcoup. By far it was my fav car I have ever owned.

I still miss it. ;(

Funny. I felt that way after I bought my first and last BMW. Got a 2000 M Coupe, brand new. $40K back in 2000. Beautiful car. But, had the following issues: after filling up the fuel tank, the fuel needle would bounce from empty to full for the first 50 miles (known issue for 3+ model years). The only fix was to cut into the rear firewall behind the seat and replace the sender, which may not have fixed it. You're going to cut a permanent hole in my new 40K car? NOT! Rolled passenger window down one day and when I rolled it back up, black goo was smeared across the window. Rough idle and hesitation at start up until the engine warmed up. Known issue for 3+ model years. A computer FI adjustment mostly solved it. One day I closed the rear hatch, which broke the internal latch. Known issue for 3+ model years. The final straw was when the passenger door wouldn't open from the inside or outside.

I hit the forums and, like you, uncovered a case of cans of worms. The part that was disgusting was that BMW knew of all these issues and didn't bother to fix them for 3 years. Of course the BMW groupies on the BMW forums justified all of it with "it's a specialty car". No thanks.

Anyway, as mentioned before, forums are mostly inundated with problems people have of whom are looking for resolutions. So don't sweat it. But, you are now aware of a potential issue which gives you power if you need to talk to a tech at a dealer.

How many miles you got so far and let us know if you develop the issue (which I really hope you do not).

Cody91tt

Reaction score
How many people with 2019s are actually getting this done?

...Maybe it doesn’t matter, but did I miss the part showing build date and model years affected?

tlnt60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone with a tune, have them cover it with warranty? Please note that I’m not asking IF THEY WILL just asking IF THEY DID.... I don’t want this thread to go off topic.

Cody91tt

Reaction score
Ok thank you. ....So I count one 2019 so far on this forum that’s failed— Is that it?

Side note: I can’t find another 19 on the other forums failing quite yet. Could be due to mileage?

And I’m also nervous now to introduce my goose tune for fear of this Ignorance sure was bliss

tlnt60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thank you. ....So I count one 2019 so far on this forum that’s failed— Is that it?

Side note: I can’t find another 19 on the other forums failing quite yet. Could be due to mileage?

And I’m also nervous now to introduce my goose tune for fear of this Ignorance sure was bliss

I’m in a 17 and have not had failure yet... I’m at 30k miles at this point.... speaking with SA, he pointed out a coupe interesting things (not sure if they are true, but if they are it’s interesting)
1. Failures more common in trucks not DDs
2. More common in area with with more weather shifts. (I’m in AZ, so always relatively mild weather).
3. He also said that he has only seen a couple failures, which would match what the poll is showing....

I’m not sure if the validity of his statements, but interesting, if there are any correlations between theses factors and failures.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
How many people with 2019s are actually getting this done?

...Maybe it doesn’t matter, but did I miss the part showing build date and model years affected?

The poll would have been better if it included the miles and year.

As far as 2019s, my guess is it's too early to know yet. From what I can recall from this thread, this issue is mostly noticed at 20Kish miles. Most 2019s won't be there yet. Some have had it earlier, however.

Also from this thread, it's gone back and forth as to whether Ford updated the parts or not. If it's a design issue, then they probably did update something. If it's just poor build quality, then there wouldn't be a reason to update the parts.

RaptorLF18

Reaction score
I'm not sure how the tech translated that sound to being a turbo issue but if you trust your dealer, then you will need to keep pursuing the issue with them, as you are. Eventually they will open the case on your behalf if they agree it's the dreaded issue (I believe; people with experience with this please chime in).

First, make sure you can repro the sound and document how to do it. Then, do it for the dealer. In the beginning, the sound reveals itself once during the day at cold startup so you will need to be prepared...

If the dealer you are working with says they can't repro the issue, I'd go somewhere else.

I would say Ford is at strike one since the first attempt didn't fix it.

After replacing the turbo gasket and it didn't work, the tech decided it was the exhaust manifold gasket. During the replacement the truck sat all weekend and he finished last Monday. Started the truck and the noise was still present. Now, a Ford engineer has heard the rattle and determined it is, in fact, the cam phasers. Three to four week backorder.

Does this mean they have opened a case and I can contact Ford to discuss it? At a minimum, I want the warranty extended or I may pursue a buyback. I got a parts list and wonder if an "A" after the part is updated or original?

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
After replacing the turbo gasket and it didn't work, the tech decided it was the exhaust manifold gasket. During the replacement the truck sat all weekend and he finished last Monday. Started the truck and the noise was still present. Now, a Ford engineer has heard the rattle and determined it is, in fact, the cam phasers. Three to four week backorder.

Does this mean they have opened a case and I can contact Ford to discuss it? At a minimum, I want the warranty extended or I may pursue a buyback. I got a parts list and wonder if an "A" after the part is updated or original?

Don't quote me but, assuming it's the same part, I believe the latest letter should be a "C". I'm just going from memory. You'd have to traverse the entire thread to verify...