Cam Phaser debacle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian22

Reaction score
This is a problem FORD created, and aren’t all dealers obligated to take care of the issue?

Legally yes but these are car dealerships we are talking about here.

I had a similar problem with a toyota dealer. Call corporate and open a claim or at least complain, then go to another dealership and ask to speak to the service writer/manager and explain the situation. What I discovered is that the GM was a complete POS but his dealership was the only one that handled bodywork issues under warranty so I had to go around him. It was a pita.

Rep732

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took me going to 4 dealers to find one willing and competent enough to fix the phasers. Also our 16 mustang spent 1 month and 18 days at a dealer waiting for a long block due to ford esp trying to deny the claim. Had to get ford involved and had an advocate that was completely useless and full of lies. It's not getting easy as time goes on, I wish you the best of luck.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it elsewhere. I had my cam phasers replaced last year on my 2019. All was well till a month ago when my front end started grinding, my driver airbag cover tore, transmission started holding 3rd after cold start (much more than it used to), and I started to get a rattle sound again from the engine bay (not wastegate related). Anywho I printed out all of the TSB’s related to my concerns and drove to Ford. First stealership tried to convince me the issues weren’t covered under 60k applicable warranties and told me they’d only be able to do the work using my third party ESP. I then handed them the TSB’s….they reluctantly conceded and then told me “oh well we won’t even get to diagnosing your truck for at least two weeks. And you have to leave your truck here today to sit and wait in line for two weeks or we won’t get to it”. Told them to go pound sand. Drove straight to dealership #2. Walked up to the counter and said I needed service regarding issues and I’d be using the new vehicle limited warranty. Service advisor glanced down at the TSB’s in my hand and flat out said “yeah we aren’t addressing any TSB concerns until late September” and then just silently stared at me from his Amazon desk throne waiting for me to walk out. Politely told him to suck a bag of dks and left.

Made an appt at a third dealership for the following week. Came in, handed him a typed list of the concerns plus the out of pocket services I needed while she was in service (new K02’s, brakes, rotors, full synthetic). They gave me the keys to a 2020 Platinum and sent me on my way. 10 days later she was right as rain. They reprogrammed the TCM which got rid of the gear hesitation, they completed a Cam Phaser reprogram that wasn’t done along with the cam phaser replacement for whatever reason, replaced the IWE assemblies which were causing the grinding I was hearing, and replaced the driver airbag module that was cracked. all through the Ford Warranty, no questions asked.

Moral of the story… there are still a handful of decent service departments left. By no means should you leave your Raptor at any service department that rubs you the wrong way, let alone fails to properly diagnose any issue especially one already documented by the manufacturer and covered by a TSB.

Told the service advisor about the abortion of an experience I had at the first dealership. He was like, yeah. Using That third party ESP would mean a higher labor rate and a markup on parts they can charge as opposed to going through Ford for the warranty repair so that’s likely why they pushed it.

Makes sense.

Last edited:

Brent M

Reaction score
Following up on my previous posts. Doesn't seem to be phasers, something is rattling on colder starts but it doesn't do it every time.
Did you ever diagnose? I have 2020 with 27k on the clock that has recently started intermittent ticking on cold start up for a few mins.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever diagnose? I have 2020 with 27k on the clock that has recently started intermittent ticking on cold start up for a few mins.

Nope. Something is rattling in the core support area. It's absolutely not wastegates as it gets worse if I have the hood open vs closed. It's pretty intermittent too, sometimes it'll go weeks being quite and then pop up for a day or two. One day I'll look into it more closely but too many other life things to occupy my time right now.